Roofer says Not to Glue Promenade Tiles on a Balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am looking to potentially relay my balcony.
A roofer (checkatrade approved) sent a quote, but didnt mention tiles .
When i rang to ask him, he said we could keep the ones we have if we want and they would just ‘lay them back on top’
At the moment they are fixed down with black stuff (bitchumen?Glue or something?)

is it okay just to lay tiles down without adhesion? Just seems a bit odd.

ps. Am confused with the term ‘flashing’
I thought it was grey bendy stuff , but he also calls the material used for the upstands as flashing. Is that right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
is the balcony leaking?
balconies are always suspect for leaks because its often difficult to detail any sound waterproofing.
all tile work depends on preparation ie you lift all previous cover and start anew at the background and with the flashings and threshold.

checkatrade and all such two guys in a bedroom with a phone "associations" are rip-offs.
ok, some few good people but they are mostly chancers providing each other with glowing references.
you may as well ask in your local chippie?

Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts regarding not securing the tiles please?

Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts regarding not securing the tiles please?
Bonkers.
Am confused with the term ‘flashing’
Generically flashings refer to lead flashings used at abutments and where you can't bend a tile etc.
A flat roofer uses the term flashings when describing his felt upstands, drips etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bonkers. Have you ever heard of just laying a promenade tile rather than glueing?

Thanks Bonkers. Have you ever heard of just laying a promenade tile rather than glueing?
No. Flat roofers use a specific product for fixing balcony tiles. It's a foaming glue type product - messy but effective.

Noseall. Think my roofer is being lazy then as he says he will just lay them back on after re roofing and that they dont need to be stuck. I was suspicious, hence my question on here.

Whether tiles are fixed with adhesive or on pads will depend on the roof design, the covering material, the tile type and whether a drained surface is required.

Woody. Thanks they are promenade tiles, being laid on felt. All the water should go down a drain in the corner if thats what you mean?
They are these ones...

Attachments

• B9DAE98D-4FE4-4C83-8546-949CC392662C.jpeg
    B9DAE98D-4FE4-4C83-8546-949CC392662C.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 289

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back