Roofing done but is this sub-standard work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About two weeks ago I had a roofing company do the complete roof. The original tiles were concrete tiles but we opted for the ridged tiles to match the neighbouring property.

Anyway the roofing was done and all completed on one day and all looked good. I have only recently went up in the loft and noticed a few issues but not sure if they are problems or if they are normal.

The breathable membrane used is a white cloth type where as my old one was like rigid plastic. This has increased road noise from the roof. A guy at work said this is the norm and that the newer membranes aint going to be like what they used back in 1930. Also, when you tap it you can hear some sort of dust rolling off, and there is also some pieces of tiles which can be felt in between the roof tiles and the membrane.

The second thing i noticed is that the white membrane used is visible from the outside of the property, at the bottom edge of tiles, where it meets the gutter. Between the tiles and the guttering you can see it slightly and is obvious when it is windy, as you can see it moving. I had a look at other newly done roofs and I can't see the majority of these doing this. One or two did show the same. Should this have been trimmed back by the roofer or is this normal?

Appreciate if someone can let me know if it is something to worry about or not, so that I am prepared for when I confront the roofer about these.

Sponsored Links
What you mention is OK, except for the exposed membrane at the eaves - there should not be any exposed as it will rot.

They should have used plastic eaves tray, and cut the membrane back under the tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back