Roofing Q - -Work is in progress - is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My roof is currently being re-done. The felt is being replaced with Roofshield membrane, new batons and new tiles. The house is a standard 3-bed 1930's semi with pitch roof and concrete tiles.

The Roofshield has been laid and batons fixed and the new tiles are partially fitted. My question is about where my roof joins the neighbours. On the front of the house the roofshield covers the roof completely - going under the neighbours tiles. However, at the back there seems to be a strip between my roof and the neighbours where there is no Roofshield membrane covering (this would be above the wall between the two houses). My concern is that is rainwater gets under the tiles here it will leak into the walls.

I have attached photos of the front of the roof which is covered as I would expect and the gap at the back.

I will ask the roofer about this in the morning but it would be really useful to get some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
why didnt they just get the tiles to marry in ie join them up and if they have chosse to do a join whats between your house and the neighbours ie is there lead there ?

I don't know why they chose not to marry up the tiles and I have to admit that I feel a bit of a muppet not knowing how they are going to make the join - I think lead?

But my question is about the membrane below.

Between your house and neigbours house there should be either lead running down the middle or a dry fix bonding gutter you then tile into either of these and this will create a water tight seal,Its probable your roofer has still to install what ever he is using but ask anyways

Sponsored Links
long as the seal is created with either a bonding gutter or lead wont really matter about the felt

Thanks for your replies Scottishslater.

I expect it will all be good but it would make sense to me to cover the entire roof with Roofshield in case there is a later failure in the tiles/lead.

he dosent have to to take the felt past your join he aint payed to felt next doors roof also the felt is only there to keep you dry until the roof is finished if felts needed to keep the roof dry after the roofs finished its very poor install but what you have looks ok id have just done it abit differently.

Cheers Scottishslater - feel a bit reassured. What would you have done differently?

That's a poor job - why on earth have they not bonded the tiles instead of now needing to mess about with unnecessary gutters or lead. Do they know what they are doing?

And now how do the tiles work at the eaves, because if they are not the same a next doors, then something must be out.

What is happening at the joint now?

Hi woody.

At the moment the tiles don't meet next doors back or front. The pics above show the current situation. The back has a narrow gap (which gets wider as it goes up) and I presume that the lead will be put over the top of the gap? From the size of the gap at the front - just over a tiles width - it looks like it will be similar after they add one more tile.

Sorry Woody - only just clicked what you were saying about the eaves. The tiles come down to the gutter and look OK which must mean they have a differing overlap. The attached pics shows the front corner (have to say I'm a bit unsure as to why the batons don't line up)

i would have married in the roofs to look like one roof but it dosent have to be done like that. You can do a join,also if a fascia has been added that could throw out the coursing.When your roofer has done the join with the lead etc post a pic that will tell if he has done a decent job.

it could also be that the roofer is able to save tiles buy putting the tiles on at a larger gauge. its only other reason i can think of.

also if you look at front of your chimney your roofer has worked to your chimney so it works in a full tile on your neighbours it works in a cut by looks of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back