Roofing Q - -Work is in progress - is this right?

Just an update.

The roofers stripped the tiles back and covered the bit of roof I was concerned about with Roofshield.

Turns out that the reason they didn't marry the tiles with next door is because next doors tiles do not have enough overlap - it was the plan to have gone along that route. To their credit my roofers worked around the problem without it costing me any more. The join has been made with a bonding gutter - it may have looked better with lead but my budget is stretched as it is so I am more than happy with this.

They have now also installed supports for the Roofshield at little more than the cost of the extra materials.

All in all I'm very happy with the work. Thanks to everyone who added to this thread - your input meant that I had a better knowledge of the job and meant that I could have a more informed conversation with the roofers. I did get the extra bit of Roofshield and the felt supports but I think that I do have a good contractor, with the right attitude, doing the work and I feel much better undertstanding why the tiles were laid as they were! :) (and I can explain to anyone who asks why my 14 courses of tiles don't match with the 12 courses on next doors roof :) )

Sponsored Links
Yes, after looking at the initial photos again and properly this time, it is apparent that the neighbours tiles are not lapped very well.

As such, rather than blindly follow the rows, the roofer has done a proper job in altering the lap.

So I'll take back my previous comments, and it does seem that you may have a competent roofer

Blimey!

2 fewer courses on your neighbours roof means they must only just lapping, that's over 2 foot different in combined gauge!

My earlier deleted post was a repeat of others about the headlap.

SurreyRoofingEstimator - I did see your deleted post moments before it disappeared :)

Not sure if I should tell the neighbours - its been done a good few years!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back