Roofing Options - split level flat roofs convert to pitched.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I need some roofing advice. We want to convert our garage and also add a conservatory or orangery on the back of the house. I want to put a pitched roof on the garage to get some extra height in the room but am not sure what the best option will be given that we have a flat kitchen roof immediately behind the garage and about a foot higher.

Also, given that the kitchen then extends past the back of the house (and wraps around the back by few inches) and will then join the conservatory which will by 5x4 mtrs along the back of the house.

1st question: What is the best aesthetic option for the roof and how will it join to the kitchen?
2: Given the complexity, is it worth getting an architect in to design the roof and joins.
3: The back corner of the kitchen is a pvc corner post. Is it possible to build a conservatory onto this or will I need to brick up to the roof?

Thanks all.

View media item 31801 View media item 31802 View media item 31803

Sponsored Links
1-given that the two exterior wall are stepped then whatever you do you will have to have a step in the roof slopes. I'd personnally go for a valley either with lead or valley tiles depending on what you have on the main roof, idealy it should all be the same tiles. Alternatively you could have a gable there with vertical boarding into which the garage roof runs.

2-possibly and an engineer is worth considering.

3- if you were just putting up a conservatory the post would most likely be fine but you have to consider the extra weight of the roof you are putting on so I'd think a brick column would be needed at least.

Sorry for the delay in replying (been flat out in work all week!)

Do you mean like this ...
View media item 32024 View media item 32025
I hadn't thought of that way but I think that would look ok.

I think an engineer sounds like a good idea too. We've had a few minor problems with the ground (subsidence caused by broken drain). Also, the garage is single skin and the kitchen extension is float foundation suitable for single storey only. How do I find an engineer? I've tried the RICS website but they all seem to cater towards large construction projects.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back