Garage Roof Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please give advice on the following please.

I am converting half of my garage to extend into my exisiting kitchen.
The garage originally had a flat roof which is still in place and the previous owner of my house put a pitched roof over the existing flat roof.

Can I remove the existing flat roof that is in place without any issues as I want to install roof windows.

Also what would you recommend with regard to insulating the roof and ventilation to the pitched roof.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
joists or the horizontal members within a roof act to restrain the outward spread of the roof.

in other words, remove the joists and your roof could spread out and downwards.

noseall said:
joists or the horizontal members within a roof act to restrain the outward spread of the roof.

in other words, remove the joists and your roof could spread out and downwards.

thanks for the reply, how could I overcome this issue, if at all ?

forgot to add the pitched roof is a lean to.

Sponsored Links
you could fix a steel beam under the ridge, securing it into the masonry at each gable end. this is usually enough to counter the spread factor.

the roof construction has to be sound, i.e. snug fitting birdsmouth joints, tight fitting angle cuts etc.

you will also need to have galvanized bent straps on the wall plates too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back