Roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fibre glass insulation that keeps falling down from between the roof rafters.

It's a big roof. I want to staple a plastic vapour barrier over the top to prevent it falling.

My question is:

Should it be a vapour barrier. Or a permeable plastic covering.

Sponsored Links
The fibreglass should be on the loft floor! If you really want a warm loft with "cold roof" construction, you would need a poly sheet on the warm side and good ventilation on the cold side to stop getting terrible condensation

Thanks John. There is insulation on the floor.
I have a problem with cluster flies getting in where the insulation has fallen.
I've used smoke diggers to kill them during the evening last week.
But I've a problem I've just noticed with bats. Lots of droppings which I'm about to remove.
I will block their entrance once I've found it

Paul

Sponsored Links
Maybe that's why they're there !
Gee that's just the sort of answer frequently found here. Unless it's two responders trading 'building regulation blows'

By fibre glass do you mean the rock wool stuff that comes on a roll?

I dont think that's the best for between the rafters because you can't guarantee there will be an air gap behind it. You would be better dropping that to the floor and fitting a Celotex type insulation between the rafters, that would hold itself tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back