Rooflight leaking in heavy rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three rooflights in a sloping roof on a single storey extension at the back of the house. I was on the roof during the autumn, clearing out the leaves from the guttering and from around the roof lights.

One rooflight leaks during heavy rain. The roof tiles don't butt up against the side of the rooflight. Rather there is a channel running down both sides of the rooflight and the tile overhangs this. There is a gap between the top of the channel and the underside of the tile large enough for me to get my fingers in.

Has this been correctly finished? I assume that the channel overflows during very heavy rain and that is where the leak comes from.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
do you know the manufacturers name?

Velux don't leak if the installation instructions have been followed.

one of the common mistakes regards Velux rooflights is the way some installers deal with the foam upstand.
it is meant to be trimmed so that it fits snugly to the underside of the tiles. even if it means shaping the foam somewhat.

the roof tiles are not meant to butt up against the roof light, they actually sit away from the edge allowing for a water run-off chanel.

Okay, so the tiles can sit over the channel and collect the rainfall and run-off from above the window position. The channels are made from pressed aluminium. I can't tell if they have been cut or not. I think they are from Wicks, can't find any logo on them.

Are spare parts available for rooflights generally?

Sponsored Links
A velux will have a ident tag inside the opening flap. if you can open it fully check to see that ALL the flashing screws are fitted, I have seen a number of leaks which have been caused by just one screw missing on the side cover trim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back