Room inside a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a detached, double garage, with pitched roof and I would like to convert half of the garage into a boys toys area (I have a thing for pinball machines!)

In essence I am planning to create a self contained room, taking-up one half of the garage with an internal access door, some form of window for ventilation and light and power etc. The room will sit behind the garage door and will only be accessible once inside the garage.

I intend to build a timber framework for floor, walls and ceiling which will be deep enough for insulation bats/roll/Kingspan. This will then be internally plaster boarded and skimmed and finished externally with some form of board – ply/chip/CSB.

In terms of DIY expertise, I would class myself as being handy and not afraid of a challenge but I do have loads of questions and would appreciate any advice you can give.

• Anyone recommend a decent timber frame book? I can knock-up a stud wall but would like to learn how to tie all the elements of wall, floor and ceiling together.
    I envisage this will be a floating structure (a bit like an internal shed!) but what timber should I use – I was thinking 4x2 for floor and walls and 3 x 2 for the roof.
    As the garage floor has an existing DPM – will I need a DPM under the wooden base? (the garage doesn’t suffer from water ingress currently).
    Other than the electrics which will be undertaken by a qualified family member, will this need any BC or planning? Whether required or not will ultimately not have any real bearing on the project – it’s my garage – I’ll do what I want in it (legally of course!) :LOL:
    Any recommendations or considerations I should give at the planning stage are most welcome.
Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd buy a suitably sized ready made wooden building and just slide it into the garage. A lot less time and hassle and probably cheaper as well.......

You know..i am not sure if you will need planning for it or not as strictly you aren't changing use of the whole garage. Phone your local council. they are usually happy to advise.

Timber. i would go for tanalised/treated it isn't internal or external but due to the fact that is is a garage its more open to the elements. Also the size of the ceiling joists will depend on the span of the ceiling what you want to hang on it and also if your going to use on top for storage. Joist hangers are an easy option for the ceiling construction.

If as you say there is dpm under the floor then there is no need for it under the timber, but it wouldn't hurt to put some and its not a huge cost. And as for the construction. Google it, theres loads out there and wickes have leaflets on pdf format.

Like you say Electrics will need to done by someone qualified and a certificate obtained to make sure it complies with regulations.

For someone whos handy it wont take too long, like you say its just the ins and outs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back