room sizes and maximum spans etc..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, so i occasionally like to design houses for fun ( yeah sad i know.. )
what's the average room sizes for things like bedrooms and such..

what is the maximum span for floor joists, can I span further with block and beam?

average ceiling height or maximum thereof?

Sponsored Links
what is the maximum span for floor joists, can I span further with block and beam?

I will answer this, if I may, with an analogy that the sparks are so fond of using, "About the same cost as a second hand car". :LOL:

Room size is a subjective thing really. Environmental health still work on what used to be called the Parker Morris standards - which, from memory, are; half person room - 50ft², one person room - 75ft², one and a half persons - 90ft² and a 2 person room - 120ft². Apart from that I'm not aware on any other statutes on room sizes.

Of course a room needs to accommodate a certain amount of furniture. And these days you have to consider disabled access as well. The principal entrance storey must accommodate wheelchair users thoughout the storey and must provide an accessible WC.

Maximum floor joist spans in the TRADA span tables is roughly 6m, but of course you could go more by calculation. Timber 'I' beams will span above 8m - although floor depth becomes significant at those spans.

There is no regulation on ceiling height except you must have 2m above stair nosings. So it comes down to what is practical really. I would say 2.15m is the absolute minimum but that's only if you are forced - i.e. when converting existing buildings. For new build I would say 2.25m as an absolute minimum but personally I would aim for 2.35m.

We all have our quirks!

There’s not really an average bedroom size, depends how big the house is etc.

7.5m is I believe about the maximum span you can get with beam & block, timber will get you further on paper but you’d need deeper joists, well beams really lol so whether it’d be practical/cost effective is another story, a rule of thumb is the depth of the joist is equal to 1/20th of the span.

Typical Ceiling height is about 2.4m

Out of interest are you a fan of pen & ink or cad? Sketchup is brilliant for playing around in as well as for professional use.

Sponsored Links
both.. I designed one of my big houses on paper.. it's 4 floors, 1 basement, 2 normal and a loft space already useable..

basement had a 2 car garage ( designed to be built on a slightly sloping plot ), rec room / bar, and a guest "suite" comprising a bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette..

ground floor: lounge, kitchen, dining room, office.

1st floor: master bedroom with en-suite and walk in closet, 4 bedrooms bathroom.

attic: 2 rooms, non specific, toilet...

another one i designed was a 1 bedroom flat over a 2 car garrage ( could easily be converted to a shop i suppose.. )

View media item 10368
View media item 10367

yes I do.. can't learn if no one tells me where i go wrong..

his is a sketch, mine are plan drawings..

is this "sketchup" thing freeware?

A sketch? A SKETCH???!

Harumph....

Yes it's free, from here.

What CAD software are you using?

One of the things that gives drawings - CAD or hand - a bit of lift, a bit of pazzaz is using differing line thicknesses and shading. These are some AutoCAD prelims I did for a job, before I discovered the joys of GSU:

I don't like AutoCAD and CAD progs generally as they are too "exact", which is why I try and mess around within them to make them more sketchy, more like how I used to do them by hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back