Room Thermostat has no live wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to change my thermostat in my room for the Central Heating, as it only seems to click between 10 - 15 no matter how warm the house is.

When i removed the cover, i found 4 wires

Red - live
Yellow - Heating Control
Earth
Blue - Neutrel

The red was not live, in fact there was no power going to the thermostat.

Can anyone advise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The red will only be live when the programmer / timer is set to bring the heating on. The red is a switched live, not a permanent live.

Be careful about wiring up new stat - it may not use the exactly the same connections (i.e. it may not use the neutral). If in doubt, do a search here - you'll find lots of recent threads on this.

Thanks mate.

So basically its probably not programmed to use the thermostat, so no point in changing it.

On the actual boiler, theres a setting for the heating, thats just set to max. i tried changing the setting on there untill the heating switched of to see if the Red would become live.

Thanks

its probably not programmed to use the thermostat, so no point in changing it.
I didn't say that. But it could be that the room stat is no longer connected up to the boiler. the red on the room stat should be live if the timer / programmer is at "CH on" setting. If not it's disconnected or there's a wiring fault.

Sponsored Links
would i be ok just leaving it as it is then, as i have no idea where these wires go. I presume that the yellow control wire will lead back to the boiler.

As for the live it could be disconnected as you said.

I might just leave it as it is.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back