Room Thermostat in Bathroom??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just some advice please, I'm installing underfloor heating throughout in my property, can you put room thermostats in the bathroom and en-suites?

Sponsored Links
Why? Just spoke to a manufacturer who said they can go in as long as they are within the required 'zone'

Sponsored Links
What happens when you decide to have a hot bath (or a cold shower ;) )

Answer: the thermostat will turn the boiler off (or on) and the rest of the house will get very cold (or very hot).

NOT a good idea.

What happens when you decide to have a hot bath (or a cold shower ;) )

Answer: the thermostat will turn the boiler off (or on) and the rest of the house will get very cold (or very hot).

NOT a good idea.

There is going to be underfloor heating throughout the property with individual thermostats in each zone. I assume therefore the heating for the other areas will be controlled via their respective stats not the stats in the bathrooms as they will only be controlling the circuit in that particular room. So should it get warm i.e. someone has a shower then the stat will recognise this and close that circuit only off.... is that not a good thing surely?

There is going to be underfloor heating throughout the property with individual thermostats in each zone. I assume therefore the heating for the other areas will be controlled via their respective stats not the stats in the bathrooms as they will only be controlling the circuit in that particular room. So should it get warm i.e. someone has a shower then the stat will recognise this and close that circuit only off.... is that not a good thing surely?

Yet more nonsense!

The room stat will turn the heat in the bathroom off in about an hours time. Hopefully that bather will have left the bathroom by then.

UFH has a thermal time constant of about 1-3 hours! Anyone fitting it needs to understand it first!

My view is that its rarely the best option in a domestic home. Fine in a library or Dr Drivel's old peoples home but rarely useful elsewhere.

The response time is so slow its only OK for people who know exactly where they will be at every hour of the day the day before!

In a small room like a toilet the heat output is less than a light bulb! It only gives enough heat in rooms of at least 10 m².

Another problem is in bedrooms! Its nice to get undressed in a nice warm room but UFH keeps it hot for at least an hour after you go to bed! Most UFHers have to resort to opening a window to cool the room down to help them sleep.

Its also more expensive to install. The only advantage is that it enables a boiler to operate very efficiently and works directly with heat pumps.

I met some Italians who used a domestic boiler for UFH ( 400 m² ) directly circulating the boiler water and just relied on the boiler control to maintain the 40-50°C for the UFH.

Tony

Yet more nonsense!

OK calm down Tony....The room stat will turn the heat in the bathroom off in about an hours time. Hopefully that bather will have left the bathroom by then.

UFH has a thermal time constant of about 1-3 hours! Anyone fitting it needs to understand it first!

My view is that its rarely the best option in a domestic home. Fine in a library or Dr Drivel's old peoples home but rarely useful elsewhere.

The response time is so slow its only OK for people who know exactly where they will be at every hour of the day the day before!

In a small room like a toilet the heat output is less than a light bulb! It only gives enough heat in rooms of at least 10 m².

Another problem is in bedrooms! Its nice to get undressed in a nice warm room but UFH keeps it hot for at least an hour after you go to bed! Most UFHers have to resort to opening a window to cool the room down to help them sleep.

Its also more expensive to install. The only advantage is that it enables a boiler to operate very efficiently and works directly with heat pumps.

I met some Italians who used a domestic boiler for UFH ( 400 m² ) directly circulating the boiler water and just relied on the boiler control to maintain the 40-50°C for the UFH.

Tony

Yes, I understand how u/f heating works! I don't think its nonsense.

What would you recommend then? The cost is neither here or there for the bathroom uf heating. The bathroom is quite large 14 sq. m, surely there should be some form of control in there. I don't want to go for the easy way as you may be trying to push :LOL:

Perhaps the UFH supplier has their own approved room stat for this purpose. Have you asked what they recommend?

As long as it is not operated by 240V mains I see no safety problem.

Get a volt free battery operated stat and conect it to the heating system via a contactor, so there will be no mains in the bathroom area.

I have often seen stats for bathrooms just outside the bathroom door :confused:

Perhaps the UFH supplier has their own approved room stat for this purpose. Have you asked what they recommend?

As long as it is not operated by 240V mains I see no safety problem.

Get a volt free battery operated stat and conect it to the heating system via a contactor, so there will be no mains in the bathroom area.

I have often seen stats for bathrooms just outside the bathroom door :confused:

Thanks Dave,
It is Uponor's system which runs off a low voltage and has a pulse sequence to the dial type stats. I was thinking about putting it outside the room near the doorway, but I kinda think it will defeat the object slightly as that area will be in the corridor / bedroom which already has its own stat.... so this could complicate things. So I think I'l put it in the bathroom corner well away from the bath etc.?

Cheers :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back