Room thermostat of the future!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this the room thermostat of the future?

http://www.nest.com

A learning thermostat that requires no programming, it remembers your habbits and makes the changes as required..

it's features include:

• 1) A simple, intuitive interface
    2) Apple'esk design / look about it
    3) WiFi / Smartphone / Internet access
    4) Weather Compensation via weather forcasts from the Internet! :cool:
    .. plus many more cool features not seen on UK room stats!
... As it's not a UK product (yet), it does have some bits missing such as modulating flow temperature and variation to wiring... (which wouldn't be difficult to change for a UK version, should one become available...

It does have many of the features I've mentioned were important to me in another thread... What do you guys think of this as a product/design? (assuming there was a UK version)

Sponsored Links
It looks nice , the wifi is cool but apart from that the rest is just a gimmick. I don't need anything to learn when I come in and out of the house cos I already know, so I program to that. It doesn't have weather conpensation as far as I can see. It can just tell you the weather we great ? I can check on my pc, iPhone or on my thermostat with wc that tells me the outside temp
This reminds me of the ecobee another US product/gimmick.

It looks nice , the wifi is cool but apart from that the rest is just a gimmick. I don't need anything to learn when I come in and out of the house cos I already know, so I program to that.

What about your customers? To me, it seems like a fit & forget type of control (the way it should be) that also works with todays ever changing household routines. Many people work flexible/odd hours and don't have set patterns like they used to...

It doesn't have weather conpensation as far as I can see. It can just tell you the weather we great ? I can check on my pc, iPhone or on my thermostat with wc that tells me the outside temp
This reminds me of the ecobee another US product/gimmick.

It says "Weather aware - Nest uses its Wi-Fi connection to keep an eye on current weather conditions and forecasts so it can understand how the outside temperature affects your energy use."

Perhaps not "weather compensation" as we know it in the UK, however, with the addition of modulating flow control the "weather aware" bits could simulate an outside sensor, it wouldn't take much to change the software for a UK version!? (which is updatable via WiFi!!! :cool: )

I guess some of the features could be called gimmicks, I would call them "useful gimmicks" that make it stand out from the crowd... :)

Strange this gadget keeps popping up on other forums as well.

Beginning to think it's SPAM.

Sponsored Links
Strange this gadget keeps popping up on other forums as well.

Beginning to think it's SPAM.

Or it's a popular / desired gadget? :) - FYI, Nest was exhibited at the Consumer Electronics Show 2012 in Las Vagas a few weeks ago (CES is a trade show where ALL the next generation gadgets are shown off / launched) and several high profile people have blogged / tweeted about it since.

Have you read the installation instruction.

Is it any good for the UK market.

:rolleyes:

Have you read the installation instruction.

Is it any good for the UK market.

:rolleyes:

As it's not a UK product (yet), it does have some bits missing such as modulating flow temperature and variation to wiring... (which wouldn't be difficult to change for a UK version, should one become available...

:rolleyes: - Why is the UK Heating industry so reluctant to change? Do you not like innovation? Wouldn't a product such as this be easier for you as a RGI?

I have often posted about the need for W/C to be based on weather forecasts.

But there is no forecast available as far as I know for digital interrogation.

Tony

As it's not a UK product (yet), it does have some bits missing such as modulating flow temperature and variation to wiring... (which wouldn't be difficult to change for a UK version, should one become available...

[/quote]

Thats why I think it's SPAM,

Not available or suitable for the UK market, so why is it being promoted all over the shop in the UK.

If it does not modulate the flow temperature by burner modulation, it is not proper weather compensation. It's just a lash-up.

I have often posted about the need for W/C to be based on weather forecasts.

But there is no forecast available as far as I know for digital interrogation.

If implemented correctly, it could be "Weather Compensation 2.0", pro-actively knowing what weather is comming could really help in energy efficiency IMHO.

p.s. See here for a list of data providers http://www.programmableweb.com/apitag/weather (list includes the Met Office, Google or Yahoo to name a few.. commercial agreements could be made to ensure consistancy of data thru the API)

If it does not modulate the flow temperature by burner modulation, it is not proper weather compensation. It's just a lash-up.

Agreed. I would see the "Weather Compensation 2.0" as replacing the external sensor and pre-emptively controlling the heating based on internet provided weather reports. My current modulating room stat just sends the flow temperature degree C it requires to the boiler (Vaillant), this part wouldn't change in 2.0 IMHO.

You can't weather-comp a boiler properly without getting 'inside' the boiler controls. External on-off control, however sophisticated, is not the same thing. Use the boiler manufacturer's weather compensation.

You would not fit a BMW automatic gearbox to a Mercedes Benz.

You can't weather-comp a boiler properly without getting 'inside' the boiler controls.External on-off control, however sophisticated, is not the same thing. Use the boiler manufacturer's weather compensation. .
There's absolutely no reason why not using Opentherm protocol, but Viessmann dont support this so you won't know anything about it :D

You can't weather-comp a boiler properly without getting 'inside' the boiler controls. External on-off control, however sophisticated, is not the same thing. Use the boiler manufacturer's weather compensation.

You would not fit a BMW automatic gearbox to a Mercedes Benz.

Wouldn't be hard to add multiple methods of sending the data to the boiler(s) in their own requested format. i.e. OpenTherm or Vaillant eBus etc

I can see what UME is getting at, using weather forecasts as a replacement for an outside sensor I assume then you could use the OT protocol to control the boiler flow temp.....BUT its a flawed idea, the whole point of WC is to match the flow temp to the demand, which is as a result of heat losses. The heat losses are as a result of the temperature the otherside of the wall not the otherside of town ! So an outside sensor would be more accurate and more reliable. If your house heat loss changes so dramatically with quick changes in weather you dont need a thermostat you need insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back