VRC 470

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

New to these forums and new to the Vaillant VRC470 weather compensator!

I've seen many other threads on people trying to get there heads around how this system works. I was wondering if anyone could help with the following:

1) How do I know whether I have two heating zones, I have the compensator downstairs in the lounge and in the main bedroom have another thermostat. Does this mean that upstairs is heating zone 2?? every time I changed the 'desired temperature' on the thermostat upstairs it changes on the controller downstairs. Though there is two mixing modules next to my hot water cylinder and also have a solar system installed for HW production.
2) Does anyone have the installer settings that I should have programmed in?
3) Can someone explain the difference between modular and thermostatic?
4) What should my heating curve be? House was built in 2012 and I currently have set to 1.5
5) There are no TRV on the radiators, is this normal for a weather compensator system?

Any help at all on the above would be much appreciated

Many thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
1) How do I know whether I have two heating zones, I have the compensator downstairs in the lounge and in the main bedroom have another thermostat. Does this mean that upstairs is heating zone 2?? every time I changed the 'desired temperature' on the thermostat upstairs it changes on the controller downstairs. Though there is two mixing modules next to my hot water cylinder and also have a solar system installed for HW production.

Typically unless theve done something quite wrong with the install, you have 2 thermostats, so 2 zones, Is the bedroom stat a small square grey stat with LCD screen and only one knob for turning it up and down? If so press and hold the knob for a moment and either A1 or A2 will show on the screen, if it shows A1, turn the knob until it displays A2 then press and hold knob until it reverts to temperature again, if its already at A2 then keep it there, press and hold to come back out the screen, this ensures the controls know this is a secondary thermostat and not the main one.

2) Does anyone have the installer settings that I should have programmed in?

As you have a solar set up its out my area of experise so your best bet would probably be contacting vaillant to double check them, a few photos of the mixers/wiring centers up here might help us to identify what all you have in the system so you can give them a better explanation of what you have.

3) Can someone explain the difference between modular and thermostatic?

Assuming you mean the setting for Room temp Mod: Thermostat means the 470 acts as a thermostat turning heat demand off once the temperature in the room has been reached, the other setting (i think its room mod or something similar) means the flow temperature is based on the difference between the room temp and desired room temp

4) What should my heating curve be? House was built in 2012 and I currently have set to 1.5

2.5 is the sort of average for the UK but it varies house to house what you need, if the place heats well at 1.5 then leave it, if not turn it up.

5) There are no TRV on the radiators, is this normal for a weather compensator system?

No, TRVs should still be fitted, in theory weather compensating a system should keep the house at a nice even heat throughout, but in reality there are always warmer and cooler areas, also very seldomly does the entire house need to be heated, so TRVs are still a good energy saving way of reducing the gas used in rooms that really dont need it

Hi Scottish gas man,

Many thanks for the reply it's much appreciated. See photos attached of the two control panels located in the cylinder room and the pipes/valves connected.

1) yes small vaillant thermostat in main bedroom believe it is the vr81. Just checked and as you said was on A1 not A2 so adjusted this. On the same screen it had temperature setting? Should I adjust this? Or is this just to configure the thermostat if it seems out by a degree or two? Now the thermostat isn't changing the main desired temp on the vrc470 so all good.
2) ok I spoke with someone before from valiant and they ran through it briefly with me was just wondering if anyone on here agreed with the settings they say or whether there needs to be any adjustments?
3) oh ok, so would leaving it on thermostat be more economical/beneficial?
4) The house seems to warm up well, maybe sometimes takes a while. Does the higher heatcurve help with maintaing/hitting the target temperature quicker and more accurate?
5) I was thinking this as I have many rads in the house that I could turn down or even off as spare rooms and heating not required so wasting energy.

Thanks again for the support and sorry for the long reply! Trying to get my head round this system as not many people understand it!

Attachments

• IMG_20191127_072007_resized_20191127_072356851.jpg
    IMG_20191127_072007_resized_20191127_072356851.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20191127_072031_resized_20191127_072357414.jpg
    IMG_20191127_072031_resized_20191127_072357414.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 261

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back