Room thermostat of the future!?

last time I checked Viessmann had no OT compatible products. Which ones are then? I might actually be interested.

Sponsored Links
I can see what UME is getting at, using weather forecasts as a replacement for an outside sensor I assume then you could use the OT protocol to control the boiler flow temp.....BUT its a flawed idea, the whole point of WC is to match the flow temp to the demand, which is as a result of heat losses.

I see your point. The scenarios I was thinking of were un-expected changes in outside temperature. e.g. Your thermostat usually turns on the heating at 07:00 - this w/e there is a severe weather warning where temps are likely to drop more than normal.

Knowing this in advance, Weather Compensation 2.0 could adjust both the start times and flow temps accordingly to pro-actively stabilise the inside temp, perhaps keeping the building fabric slightly warmer than normal, not allowing it to drop during the night for increased comfort levels and perhaps energy efficiency?

I would be suprised if some form of weather forcasting isn't already included in commercial building control systems!?

I can only see any need for such a thing in a situation of high heat losses, in which case I'd suggest addressing that not combating it with extra heat

I would be suprised if some form of weather forcasting isn't already included in commercial building control systems!?

I would be surprised if there was.

They can't even forecast the weather yet.

We had an 1" of snow yesterday morning, the forecast was bright and sunny but cold.

Sponsored Links
Somewhere around freezing, then, as forecast?

I say again, why do weather comp the hard way when you can do it the easy way? Why do you think you know more than the manufacturer?

I say again, why do weather comp the hard way when you can do it the easy way? Why do you think you know more than the manufacturer?

Innovation; the creation of better or more effective products, processes, services, technologies, or ideas that are accepted by markets, governments, and society. Innovation differs from invention in that innovation refers to the use of a new idea or method, whereas invention refers more directly to the creation of the idea or method itself.

Why do you think Viessmann (or any boiler manufacturer) know more about technology, innovation or usability than anyone else? - Perhaps you could point me to the innovative products any of the current boiler manufacturer's have released?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the heating industry, especially in the UK is WAY behind the times technology wise IMHO.

I am a big gadget freak and did a lot of research into smart thermostats. I also found this one, designed by an ex apple chap.

In the end I bought one of these from the USA

http://www.ecobee.com/solutions/home/

It uses weather forecast for compo, I can control it from anywhere on iPhone, iPad and web interface.

I already notice the savings in the gas bill.

Seems the UK Thermostat is a tough cookie to crack, funny when I worked at Satchwell it was the same.

Viessmann is German, and is the market leader there.

:rolleyes: - Nokia is Finnish and was once the market leader worldwide for mobile phones... Microsoft was once the biggest technology company, today, Apple (AAPL) has a market cap of almost double Microsoft (MSFT) - If you don't innovate and move on with the competition, you won't survive. ;)

How accurately can they predict the weather in the USA.

Probably about 25% the same as the Uk, and 50% of that is probably chance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back