Room Thermostat Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Honeywell one I have is old and temperamental - is this a job for Corgi Reg or an electrician?

Are the wireless ones recommended, are they pants, or am I best sticking to straightforward replacement?

Boiler is a Halsteads Platinum with TRVs on all but one radiator.

Sponsored Links
The Honeywell one I have is old and temperamental - is this a job for Corgi Reg or an electrician?
It does not need a CORGI as no gas work is involved. You could do it yourself if you are comfortable with electrics - wiring plugs, changing fuses etc.

Are the wireless ones recommended, are they pants, or am I best sticking to straightforward replacement?
Wireless stats are good - had one nearly three years. There are two types: those which are just thermostats, and those which are combined timers and
stats (programmers). The price difference is not huge and the advantage of the programmer is that you have the control all in one place. I would recommend the Honeywell CM927.

Boiler is a Halsteads Platinum with TRVs on all but one radiator.
That's no problem, wireless stats will work with any boiler. It will have to be located so it controls the rad without the TRV.

The Honeywell CM927 looks to be ideal for my needs, 7-day programming is perfect for me, thanks for that.

Whilst I'm comfortable with some wiring (straight forward swaps on sockets and light switches) I'm not going to attempt wiring the receiver into the boiler - so would that be for an electrician or a corgi reg? Getting very mixed messages from what I've read so far...and does the receiver require a separate power supply from the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Whilst I'm comfortable with some wiring (straight forward swaps on sockets and light switches) I'm not going to attempt wiring the receiver into the boiler - so would that be for an electrician or a corgi reg? Getting very mixed messages from what I've read so far...and does the receiver require a separate power supply from the boiler?
The CM927 will replace both your existing time switch and your thermostat.
The CM927 receiver will use the same power supply as the boiler. To make life easier the receiver could be mounted where the existing thermostat is and would use the same wires.

Many electricians have no experience wiring central heating, so it would be better to ask a central heating person. They do not have to be corgi reg as it is not gas related, but they probably will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back