Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hope someone can help...

Our boiler has a thermostat on it, actually on the boiler itself, and I'm told heats the house based on the temperature of water in the pipes rather than a room. I'm also told that this is ridiculously inefficient.

Therefore, could someone tell me, if it's possible to connect a room thermometer to the boiler instead and if so is it a major job - who would be the best to approach, an electrician or a plumber, or is it simple enough to do it myself?

Many thanks in advance, J

Sponsored Links
HI

1. all boilers have company thermostats fitted
2. it is a room thermostat and not a room thermometer
3.not all system have room thermostat
4.only qualified electrician can fit the room thermostat
5.ROOM THERMOSTAT =usually fitted in the lounge on the wall
6.BOILER THERMOSTAT=fitted on the boiler

sorry, meant room thermostat not thermometer.
Thanks for the reply. Have a few more questions though.
Would we have to fit a room thermostat and still have the boiler thermostat (or is it one or the other)?
Are room thermostats pretty standard - I'd prefer to find one myself and then get someone to fit it - we'd like a wireless one.

Thanks again for reply, please excuse my ignorance in these matters!

after reading your posts i would strongly recommend an electrician as you dont seem to have even the basic understanding of ch system electrics.

Sponsored Links
LUNAT said:
4.only qualified electrician can fit the room thermostat
That is not true. In fact, it's nonsense.

jmcdyre said:
Would we have to fit a room thermostat and still have the boiler thermostat (or is it one or the other)?
Yes, 'fraid so. The boiler 'stat is a safety device and must not be removed.

jmcdyre said:
Are room thermostats pretty standard - I'd prefer to find one myself and then get someone to fit it - we'd like a wireless one.
Fairly standard, but if you could give us the make/model of your boiler then you'll get better advice.

It's an Alpha boiler, model 240E.

I really have no idea myself about these things but have friends who are, so if it's relatively straight forward maybe they could do it for me.

after reading your posts i would strongly recommend an electrician as you dont seem to have even the basic understanding of ch system electrics.

He`s asking the best one to buy & have an electrician fit it. Calm down. ;)

Thank you very much D_Hailsham
I will look into the CM927
Are there different versions, or just one that will fit all.
Thanks for your help

cheers for that Jonno
If I bought one would I just need to get an electrician in to fit it - is there anything else required?
Any idea what a reasonable cost would be for having one fitted?

Cheers

I think you will find that these are not the latest models. I cannot find any details on this particular model on the Horstmann web-site. Their latest wireless stat looks completely different.

The CM927 is the current Honeywell stat. It costs more than the Hostmann (£85 on ebay today), but that is to be expected as it has more features.

Well ok, i didn't mean the absolute latest model, but wireless technology in general ;)

As for fitting one, if you're competent enough you could do it yourself, there's NO legal requirement to have boiler stats fitted by a qualified electrician (this only comes in to play if you start breaking into the actual main elcetrical supply to the whole boiler)

But a good electrician would only be looking at an hour or so to fit, maybe £50 ? (plus parts)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back