Problem with room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a room thermostat.(Tower RS).When activated the boiler only comes on for about a minute and then shuts off,therefore the room does not warm to the set temperature.It would appear to me that the thermostat warms up or senses a greater heat once activated than it actually is?I am not sure if this is a problem with the wiring or the thermostat itself?

Sponsored Links
what connections have you in the stat and which ones did you connect to?

I have connected the live,switched live and neutral wires to the appropriate terminals,and at the other end through the time clock :confused:

Can you check that the signal giong to the boiler is live when it should be?

Sponsored Links
Yes,I have checked it with a phase tester and it is working,the problem is the thermostat switches off after about one minute,it appears to sense the room warmer after it is activated for a short time

i should say you you have it wired back to front still. in that it tells the boiler its warm enough when it isnt, still what happens if you turn the temp on the stat up, what does the boiler do?

you could also try turning the stat DOWN and see what it does

Not familiar with a Tower RS. If it's a normal thing then I can't see a "backwards"way of connecting it which could make it do what yours is doing.
Do check the wiring though- sometimes the symbols are confusing. "Load" means the boiler (SwL) and a rectangle may mean a heater-resistor (goes to neutral).

It may have a resistor in there which heats the stat up to reduce the hysteresis (dead band). If you disconnect the neutral you will stop that heating up. Worth a try. The resistor is normally about 0.5 - 2 megohm, if you have a suitable meter to measure it (with everything disconnected).

If the thermostat is an electronic one, you don't connect a neutral.

What boiler is it? Some aren't designed for mains inputs at all!

While you're in there, check that Live and neutral aren't reversed on the boiler. (Neutral to earth should be approx zero volts, L to E approx 230)

I have checked the wiring again and it appears ok.I have disconnected the neutral wire.This has had the opposite effect.The boiler now continues to run and now does not switch off until after the desired temperature has been reached.The thermostat is not an electronic one.It is a fairly standard one costing £7.perhaps it is the termostat!

dont suppose its a frost stat do you? (they do work backwards)

just a thought

Thanks for all your help.

The thermostat has a frost protection element.It does however go up to 35 degrees celcius

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back