Room thermostat for Heatslave 12/14 - advice pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I live in a rented property with a Heatslave 12/14 oil combined, but it seems to be massively inefficient: the first month we were in the house cost us nearly £150 in oil, and we are very careful with heating etc.!

I've realised the heating is either on or off, with no cut out for a set temperature, so I'm thinking about getting a room thermostat fitted.

I'll get a professional to fit it, but would like to know a bit more about it all before going ahead, so I don't get ripped off. Need it to be as cheap as possible.

1. Is it reasonable to buy the thermostat myself band then ask the professional to just fit it and set it up?

2. Can I buy any wireless thermostat, or does it need to match the boiler?

3. If I buy a room thermostat control panel thing, will it come with the attachments that go on the boiler itself?

4. How much do you think it would cost to get an electrician (?) to do the job?

5. Any other advice I might need to know.

Many many thanks in advance! 😀

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a simple hard wired thermostat with this....there is provision for one to be connected into the boilers PCB.
I have a Drayton combi stat, about £15 I think....as simple as it gets. These can be 2 or 3 wire connection.
I did have a wireless stat for mine, and although it was recommended for the boiler, once the room was about up to temperature the stat was switching the boiler off and on too frequently - so thats back in the box.
John :)

I'd go for a simple hard wired thermostat with this....there is provision for one to be connected into the boilers PCB.
I have a Drayton combi stat, about £15 I think....as simple as it gets. These can be 2 or 3 wire connection.
I did have a wireless stat for mine, and although it was recommended for the boiler, once the room was about up to temperature the stat was switching the boiler off and on too frequently - so thats back in the box.

How does a wired thermostat function differently to a wireless one (except for being wireless)? Also what is the difference between the number of connecting wires?

£15 is certainly nice a cheap. Would it be easy to wire it through to an adjacent room (kitchen through to lounge) ? Would it come with a decent length wire?

Thanks for your help ☺

The wireless stat has a transmitter that you can (theoretically) position anywhere in the house or even carry it with you; this transmits to a receiver unit that is wired directly to the boilers PCB.
The PCB has a two wire connection (off/on) and a third wire (a neutral connection) can make the stat more responsive. I dont use the third connection as it made no difference.
The thermostat position is important....there's no point in it being in a hot area, as it would never switch on - and likewise if it was in a cold area it would never switch off.
The thermostat comes with its own wiring diagram, and can be connected with any length of household 5 amp cable.

Sponsored Links
So when you said your wireless one didn't work very well, was that just because that unit wasn't very good, rather than an inherent problem with wireless ones?

Is yours a Heatslave 12/14 as well? Are all thermostats compatible with different boilers?

Thanks again :)

I live in a rented property
The landlord is responsible for providing a safe, working heating system. So you must ask your landlord for permission, in writing, to make any changes to the heating system. If you don't and something later goes wrong he can say it's your fault as you messed about with the heating.

I've realised the heating is either on or off, with no cut out for a set temperature, so I'm thinking about getting a room thermostat fitted.
Is there a timer for the boiler?

So when you said your wireless one didn't work very well, was that just because that unit wasn't very good, rather than an inherent problem with wireless ones?

Is yours a Heatslave 12/14 as well? Are all thermostats compatible with different boilers?

Thanks again :)

What I found with my wireless attempt......the boiler would switch on fine, and the rads would start to heat the rooms up.
However, when the temperature was nearly reached, the wireless system would constantly switch the boiler off and on (which isn't particularly good for it).
So, back to the simple analogue stat for me! (That's all a thermostat is...a switch worked by temperature).

I live in a rented property
The landlord is responsible for providing a safe, working heating system. So you must ask your landlord for permission, in writing, to make any changes to the heating system. If you don't and something later goes wrong he can say it's your fault as you messed about with the heating.

Is there a timer for the boiler?

I'd check with the landlord first, and it would have to be done by an accredited electrician too. Pretty sure the landlord word be happy for it to be done.

Yes, it's got a timer, but when it's on it keeps heating regardless of how hot the house gets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back