Roots in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve had some water damage from a leak at the side of the house. There was quite a bit of vegetation growing up there. Leak is repaired and I’m removing plaster from the damaged area. I’m finding long, thin roots under the plaster. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpeg
    IMG_1990.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
Not unless they are triffids.

Scrape, spray some geophosphate or similar then re plaster.

Check externally and treat as necessary.

While I’m here - I also have one loose brick. It’s wedged in but the mortar around it has failed and fallen out. Is it best just to get as much new mortar in as far as I can to secure it as much as possible?

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 15
Sponsored Links
OP,
1. Did the leak damage the outside of the wall or the inside or both? What was leaking?
2. Is your floor solid or suspended?
3. Three bricks appear to be loose - why not remove them - clean the bricks and pocket of old mortar & re-bed the bricks with mortar?
4. When the bricks are out, check inside the pocket for any wall "cavity" & if any roots can be seen in the "cavity"?
5. Pic 2. shows roots at high right and lower left.
6. Could you take an elevation pic of the outside of the wall, & a pic at ground level?

Hello, thanks for your response.
1. The leak was from big cracks in the render on our neighbours wall and vegetation growing there.
2. Suspended floor
3. Yes I will try and remove the bricks, clean and re-mortar, thanks.
4. Will do.
5. The roots must have come in from the neighbours roof (ours is the house with new roof on the right).
6. Picture attached, does that help?

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpeg
    IMG_2002.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 36
We’ve had some water damage from a leak at the side of the house. There was quite a bit of vegetation growing up there. Leak is repaired and I’m removing plaster from the damaged area. I’m finding long, thin roots under the plaster. Should I be worried?

Yes, if they are fungal hyphae.

OP,
Thanks for the new info & pic.
Apologies for me jumping to the conclusion that we were talking about GF level.

7. Has the vegetation on the neighbour's side been removed?
8. Has the cracked render been repaired?
9.The interior "plaster" looks like original sand & lime render.
10. Keep investigating/removing the render to find exactly where the vegetation entered your property.
11. Have you been in the loft & examined the party wall for vegetation or water streaks?
12. In the room in the pics can you smell mushrooms?
13. FWIW: the lead flashing on your chimney stack has been incorrectly fitted - but if below the stack is leak free then forget about it.

What a terrific house you have.
The flat roofs over bay balconies is something that I've never seen before.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes the vegetation is gone now and the cracks have been filled.
Still slightly stumped as to where the vegetation has entered, but I think it’s just where it could be seen on our neighbours roof.
The attic is fine and I can’t find any other evidence of leaks or vegetation.
Luckily there’s no smell of mushrooms. It just smells a bit earthy where I’ve hacked off the plaster.
I’m getting a plasterer in the sort out the area,
Thanks again for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back