Rosemary tiles 5mm difference in length - cut or match?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a plain clay Rosemary tile roof & the tiles are remarkably different in length - 265 to 270mm approx. I note that this is about the stated tolerance of the tiles, but what approaches do folk take to compensate? Do you take the time to match the tiles (which I'm finding necessary for twist and lean as well anyway, and it's taking ages!), do you use spacers on the battens to compensate for length, or do you cut the bottom of the tile? Seems like a lot of time cutting if the latter!
Cheers,
Dave.

Sponsored Links
sort the tiles according to length.
keep the recom batten spacing eg 88mm.
use the 270mm tiles in the lower courses.
i dont now what twist an lean is but clay tiles sometimes come a bit deformed - leave the worst ones out an use the others for cuts at abutments and valleys.

if youve got to many an think it worth it then take the bad ones back for swaps.

When looking up from the deckchair in the garden, do you see this 5mm difference?

you dont cut lengths or pack nibs.
are these new tiles? or a reclaimed mix.
you should not need to twist tiles, I am inclined to think your battening is a little wonky
if you get the odd mishaped tile set it aside for elsewhere .

Sponsored Links
My reclaimed tiles were approx 5mm different. I just set aside ones that did not sit flush with their neighbour until I had enough to do a course of longer tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back