Rosemary tiles

• Thread starter RichieHoneybucket
  • Start date
R

RichieHoneybucket

An elderly relative has a roof with Rosemary tiles, it's standard Scottish roof with sarking boards. Are the tiles normally double nailed & what's the best way to replace a few tiles.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally double nailed, sometimes single nailed if on battens.

you should be able to turn the tiles above to access the broken tiles.

Plain tiles should only have 1 nail.

Nailed every 6th..........

.......house!

Normally double nailed, sometimes single nailed if on battens.

you should be able to turn the tiles above to access the broken tiles.

Are Rosemary tiles not always on tile battens Alastair?

There's only a few that look loose & one or two missing, but the hips tiles have a lot of mortar loose & there's no hip irons??!! What's the best way to deal with the hips?

Sorry to pick your brains, I'm a Plumber & done lots of Lead work so no stranger to roof work and I don't want the old folk getting ripped off.

Sponsored Links
Are Rosemary tiles not always on tile battens Alastair?

No! not in Scotland they are mostly double nailed straight to sarkin boards.
i've stripped 100's over the years.
Modern day specs are usually always on tile batten though.

There's only a few that look loose & one or two missing, but the hips tiles have a lot of mortar loose & there's no hip irons??!! What's the best way to deal with the hips?

What kind of hip tiles are they?

http://www.hadley-reclaimed.co.uk/rosemary-red-hip-tile-p-262.html

None of these mate, they look like standard hip/ridge tiles, as you'd see on a normal concrete tiled roof - bedded & pointed with mortar.

If they're double nailed would I be able to remove them with a slate ripper? If they're doubled nailed & no battens, they'll all be nailed.
Thanks mate.

Double nailed plain tiles are a pain in the erse to remove and a slate ripper has to get through the nibs first.

Double nailing is a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back