rosemary tiles

He tells the roofer he is going to use the scaffold. He's paid for it. If the roofer doesn't agree he can leave and forgo the contract. The roofer is the slave. The customer is king. The roofer does as he's told or leaves.

Sponsored Links
Only a complete idiot would choose to slow a roofer down, get in his way or start rocking the boat.

If customers were to act as you describe Joe then many a roofer would walk.

More the fool them i say.

Despite what you think , there are not queues of roofers waiting to work for awkward customers. Roofing is a difficult trade, both building the roof and tiling it. A lot of folks just want it completed and finished with.

To jeopardise the contract for a few quid is ridiculous and would probably cost the customer dear, both in money lost and in property damage. To engage the tactics you are suggesting Joe, particularly in the winter time would be akin to building suicide.

As far as roofing is concerned the customer is definitely not king.

Don't be daft mate. The roofer is making thousands out of this roof and the OP has every right to expect a deal re materials. If the roofer wants to walk - give him a wave. A deal that suits both parties is the way forward. A bit of a bonus for the pair of them. What right does any contractor have to assume the spoils are theirs and their alone? Crazy. Take them off. Stack them on pallets and split it down the middle and everyone is happy.

Joe, the maths are simple. If the customer bangs on about wanting a cut then the roofer slings 'em into a skip off the top lift - END OF. :LOL:

It would be more trouble than it is worth to split the proceeds. As i have said previous, the customer can get them down themselves and take ALL the spoils as far as the roofer is concerned.

Good luck to them.

There is no roofer, mate, on this planet that is going to carry all the tiles down so that they can share the with the customer mate.

'Tis you that is being naive mate.

Sponsored Links
Don't be daft mate. 20,000 tiles that retail at 35p each. Do the maths. The roofer could make more on the tiles than the labour. If it were me I'd wait for him to take them all off then call the reclaim man and let him take them away. It's MY property and I'll do with it as I please. He was never contracted to help himself to my property. It's mine. End of.

If a contractor supplies a written quote "to remove and cart away" and the customer agrees to these terms, then the contractor can do as he pleases with the waste.

If you are unfamiliar with contract law Joe i suggest you swat up. There is a point at which the property ceases to belong to the customer and becomes contract waste or spoil.

If a contractor supplies a written quote "to remove and cart away" and the customer agrees to these terms, then the contractor can do as he pleases with the waste.

If you are unfamiliar with contract law Joe i suggest you swat up. There is a point at which the property ceases to belong to the customer and becomes contract waste or spoil.

Where did the OP state what arrangement was in effect? You are making it up as you go along. :rolleyes:

Where did the OP state what arrangement was in effect? You are making it up as you go along. :rolleyes:

Correct. I'm outa my depth.

Good. Now lets let it drop as the OP seems to have headed for the hills. :eek:

OMG joe ? what planet are you from??? Rosemary's in perfect condition, with all lugs and no chips, splintering etc will get you a max of 15p each. Most old rosemary roofs were nailed with big headed clout nails that have rusted so you lose at least 50%, regardless of roof condition. I'd say a further 35% would be worthless to a salvager. By my reckoning your looking at a max of £450 , and to get that the roofer would have to be very careful and patient to take them off and i can guarantee he's not priced to keep any. Have you any idea of the labour involved in such a task? No i thought not, now leave topics you clearly know nothing about to people who do like noseall.

To the OP , i have done a few BIG rosemary roofs, including 2 for the duke of westminster at eccleston hall and eccleston paddocks in cheshire. And it wasn't financially viable to keep , handle , store and reuse the old ones. not even for the cuts on the spires ( round spires , with 5000 tiles each, x 4)

OMG joe ? what planet are you from??? Rosemary's in perfect condition, with all lugs and no chips, splintering etc will get you a max of 15p each. Most old rosemary roofs were nailed with big headed clout nails that have rusted so you lose at least 50%, regardless of roof condition. I'd say a further 35% would be worthless to a salvager. By my reckoning your looking at a max of £450 , and to get that the roofer would have to be very careful and patient to take them off and i can guarantee he's not priced to keep any. Have you any idea of the labour involved in such a task? No i thought not, now leave topics you clearly know nothing about to people who do like noseall.

To the OP , i have done a few BIG rosemary roofs, including 2 for the duke of westminster at eccleston hall and eccleston paddocks in cheshire. And it wasn't financially viable to keep , handle , store and reuse the old ones. not even for the cuts on the spires ( round spires , with 5000 tiles each, x 4)

Maybe things are different in Anglesy. They are barely nailed around our way and it's just a matter of lifting them off and stacking them up. Child's play. Why don't you stick to a topic you know something about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back