rotten boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am getting the toilet revamped and the boards under the old wc cistern are rotted because the cistern was boxed in and condensation over the years took its toll..and some leakage...40 years
i just moved in and am upgrading everything...enough of that
i dont know if i can match the floorboarding which has to come out
6" x 3/4" by the looks of it...
can i use some modern flooring instead...and what do you call it now..its not chipboard is it...
ps the cistern and wc will be exposed and the floor will be treated and sealed and some viny flooring laid down to complete..
glad of any advice..
and i got my cooker fixed..cheers again

Sponsored Links
mrcrow said:
6" x 3/4" by the looks of it...
They are available from timber merchants which is a standard size for flooring.
can i use some modern flooring instead...and what do you call it now..its not chipboard is it...
Best to use 3/4" exterior plywood for bathroom and make sure the join are on the centre of the floor joists and put in extra noggins if needed. This plywood would be suitable for vinyl or ceramic floor tiles.

masona said:
6x3/4 floorboards
They are available from timber merchants which is a standard size for flooring.
my iptions
Best to use 3/4" exterior plywood for bathroom and make sure the join are on the centre of the floor joists and put in extra noggins if needed. This plywood would be suitable for vinyl or ceramic floor tiles.

thanks masona
i have some timbers to use as noggins as you suggested...
i think i will try the floorboard method first...i can piece the bits in more easily..the rot is against two walls in a corner so i see i will need to fit the boards under the plaster again

ps i threw out an old piece of 3/4 ply which looked like it was used for r.c. shuttering...dohhhhh..my garage cleanouts can be a disaster..:)
still

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back