Rotten Door Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just looking for some advice regarding repairing or replacing my front door.

I was about to repaint it when I noticed the mullion/rail corners looked a bit soft. After poking around and excavating with a screwdriver I found that the rot goes about 3/4 of the way through in at least 2 of them :(
door.jpg

The door is an original 1997 developer door with no porch and it's South facing. It's quite gappy at the joints so I can understand how water got in. Is it worth repairing with a wood hardener and something like Dry Flex and then adding frame sealant around the floating panels. Would that stop further deterioration? Or would it be better off to just buy a new door which should last for the next 20 years (about £250 for the same sort of thing from LDP Doors say).

Sponsored Links
If you change door add a porch to improve weather protection or use a composite door.

I would repair it, but I am a decorator...

You may get a new door for £250 but you will have to factor in the cost of fitting and painting.

Dry Flex in a single caulking gun sized tube is £40-50. It would be advisable to seal any gaps around the panels with an MS polymer such as CT1 (approx £15).

Sponsored Links
Have a look at a door canopy, will keep off much of the rain unless it faces driving winds.

Wider than the door looks best.

Repair it as you propose and you'll get several more years out of it yet. Do a thorough job on the rot.

The important thing would be to then keep it well maintained and bring forward the repainting cycle. Don't bother with a canopy unless it's in your dreams and you've always wanted one.

I had a deep rot problem at the base of our front door several years ago. Dug out the dead wood, evicted a platoon of wood lice, then got to work with Ronseal wood filler. Smoothed it, painted it with a weather proof coat and it's still going strong. (y)

Thanks for the advice. I have started chopping the rot out and repairing with Dry Flex. Hopefully it will hold up for a few years!
rot1.jpg
rot2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back