Rotten wooden lintel needs replacing with what? See pix!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A first floor window on the gable side of my 1927 house needs a new lintel.

The old wooden one has rotted away and I'm not sure if replacing it is a job I can tackle easily.

(It seems to have been rotten for many years, judging how it fell to bits when I touched it.)

DETAILS
Cavity wall brick.
Window space is 510 mm wide.
Space above frame 90 mm.

QUESTIONS!
1. I assume I could buy a Catnic lintel of exactly the right dimensions and insert it into the space?
2. But how 'tight' does it have to be on the bricks?
3. Is it easy to insert a new Catnic lintel?
4. Any tips about it not being supported currently?

I'm extremely grateful for any advice anyone can offer. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What you want is a 100 x 65pre-stressed concrete lintel,of the relevent length if you want to be really thorough do both the inner and outer leaves but to be honest you can get away with just the rotten one, it should be tight up to the brickwork above and not sitting on the window( pack it up with some steel plate or a bit of roofing slate, if necessary.

For such a small opening you should just be able to take it out without any support (no more than two or three bricks should fall out)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back