rough extension cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

we are considering moving home and i'm after some sort of rough indication of an extension cost over a garage.

the overall size would be 4.3m x 2.5m and assume existing foundations are all ok as others have done without any ripping down garages etc and starting again.

use would be a dressing room and ensuite bathroom, with a cut through from the rear bedroom

i've tried to attach an image here, hopefully it works! thanks

Sponsored Links
Looks like the neighbours have had same job done. Have you spoken to them about it? How much? Builder recommendations etc. ?

Haven't knocked to ask, didnt want to seem rude as I dont even own the property yet! I was hoping in the region of 5-7k? (excluding decoration) seems fairly simple to me but i'm no builder - 1 wall cut into neighbours, insulation, flooring and a small section of roof? plumbing and electrics - or is it not this simple?

If that's a front extension, planners may have something to say about it. Check first.

Sponsored Links
will planning be an issue even though the neighbours have done it? surely they have set a precedent now?

Probably not but if the sale depends on this being plausible further investigation is necessary. Precedents are not always followed especially if local planning policy has changed. Just because someone has done something bad (in their opinion) does not mean it should be repeated.

ok thats understood, to be honest I would still pursue the purchase even if the extension was opposed, its not critical but just an idea. so for the sake of argument i've got planning, so what do we think it would cost?

It looks better after the extension than before it.

It looks better after the extension than before it.

True, but try to imagine what it will look like when both houses have done it.

I can't get my head around the fact that there is a solid wall joining the houses above the garage - weird. It seems to be positioned centrally in line with the gable peak.

Very strange houses, visually speaking.

It is creating a terrace effect. Many authorities don't allow this

There is no precedent in planning, add each application is assessed on its own merits in accordance with the policy in force at the time

In the cul-de-sac the houses are built in blocks of 2, I'd say 60% of the pairs of houses have both built over the garages, only two or three remain which haven't been extended, mainly because like this one an elderly person(s) has been living there and not needed or wanted to

assuming that planning consent as easy as you are convinced, you will still need to apply for permission.

Add into that Arch fee's and BR drawings, and take off a reputable builders VAT, your idea of 5-7k in reality only leaves you with 3-4.5k to actually spend on building. Take out waste disposal and scaffolding and you could be closer to 2-3.5k for building work - do you see where I am going with this?

I would assume your expectations are a little way off.

I'm not sure what the average day rate is in Suffolk, but I would say you will need more than you are currently budgeting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back