roughly how much

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Over the past 2 years, I have had about 3 pumps replaced, this seems to been due to lots of crap in the system, lost all heating recently (hot water ok) . A (heating engineer) came out and told me that this time my pump was working, and recommend a magnaclean professional to be fitted. He could not do it due to time and holiday. So got usual plumber arranged and worked great for the first few days. Bur now it started to just get cool, on most and nothing after the valve on one. I concerned that he never mentioned anything, ever when fitting 3rd pump.

I was nt in when it got fitted, but on no time when pumps or magnaclean was fitted was the system drained. This was only emptied once after couple mins of being fitted.

I am now being advised to invest in a chemical flush, but although no price I am told it is very expensive.

Can anybody advise how much I should be looking at for a chemical flush should work out at. I have 6 radiators on middle floor flat, with one being a double. I feel that I may just be getting a bit taken for a mug.

I would do it myself, but concerned about refilling it, and any problems with air locks, and balancing.

Thanks

G

Am wondering

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, you have not explained whats happened very clearly.

Fitting a Magnaclean should be about £180-£200. They need checking and emptying regularly at first and YOU should have been instructed how to do that.

Generally I would charge about £188 for a chemical flush and adding inhibitor, thats what you would pay. Done over two visits!

Tony

Sorry about not being clear.

Each time we had a pump replaced, it was due to not heat in the radiators. The pump was always red hot and never any noise coming from it. Usually when the heating comes on, we can hear the pump going and the water get pushed through.

This time, seemed to be the same , but when it was checked by mate, he said pump was working. i had noticed that when i bled the bathroom radiator, it was really dirty, rest seemed clearish.

This was when he suggested a magnaclean, and cant keep getting pumps replaced.

I am very surprised though, that at any time the system was not drained down, as I thought it would be prudent with he magnaclean being fitted.

I was not in when it was fitted, and he said he would come back in a couple of month to show me how to clean it, as it only needs done once a year.

G

As far as I can tell, you had a "mate" advising you and fitting a Magnaclean!

Firstly a dirty system should at least be drained at least once and best 3-4 times to remove excess dirt before fitting the magnetic filter.

Secondly, a Magnaclean needs to be checked after say ONE week to clean it and see just how much dirt is being collected. Based on that inspection the regime can then be established for future cleaning intervals. Typically doubling the time interval every time. Say 1-2-4-8 weeks etc..

Nowhere do you state the "mate's" credentials for advising you and working on your system.

Regarding the failing pumps, it seems the pumps were getting jammed by your system dirt. The correct cure is to replace the pump and advise you to get the system power flushed or do other cleaning.

Because of the way that 90% of customers react to my advice about this problem, I have this suspicion that you chose not to agree to having the system cleaned. Not the first time or even the second time!

On the third occasion, you seem to have chosen a "mate" rather than a heating professional who should have better advised you. All this evidence points to you not wanting to spend the money required to sort it out properly.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I did mention 'mates ' credentials , hearing engineer . Time served corgi registered plumber / engineer working for major company. He only did not do it due to time , other commitments and going on holiday . Besides i prefer friends not doing the work on case it affects friendship if it all goes wrong. I do know to only let corgi work on system as it gas heating.

The guy tht did do is a small company but time
Served and all creds.

I was asking about draining as I assumes it would have to be drained, but looks like a pro has wrong advised me about time frequency for cleaning .

So thank you for your advice on that.

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back