Round cedarwood hot tub, pergola, decking & paving 09 pr

That's 9 months since we completed the tub. Sadly the electric motor running the jets went kaput after a couple of months. Since then i've been using the tub as a soaker and heating from the chofu. Its been great and is still the most chilled out space that i know, if not the most bubbly! I'll get round to changing out the motor eventually but too many other things to do at the moment and its Summer! Here's a few photos so you can see the changes the greenery has made. The full plan is for a living green canopy overhead. This will take years but progress is slowly being made!

In amongst the evergreens and annuals i have planted 2 hops plants. Hopping they take off next year as they give fantastic seasonal screenage. Also hopefully a crop of hop cones for my beermaking!

http://bennachiebrewery.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-beginning.html

Sponsored Links
It's looking great, such a nice private space! You must be very happy!

I can't believe i took so long to change the motor! Nonetheless, the tub is back up and running again and all the better for the wait. Its been great using it as a soaking tub and heating it up with the Chofu but its hard to beat the jets running and the aerator turbocharging the jets!

Here's a few pics of it as it looks now. i will continue to add to the greenery as the years pass. I have now discovered aromatherapy hot tub crystals, chilled candle light in the evening and who needs to watch telly!

Two fuschias for today

Getting the green cover i imagined in the development stage of the project.

We've also added some solar lights to the pergola. we'll be using the tub tonight, i'll try and remember to take some evening photos! We are very happy with the end result of the project :)

I'm pretty sure that this tub project has cost me considerably more than if i had purchased a 'normal' fibreglass multijet plug and play unit. I guess we all pay our money and take our chances! I do know that every time i climb into this tub i feel like a millionaire and emerge as a totally destressed human(what a sleep we have) so i guess thats a good deal for around 9 grand (or was it 10) all in including the decking?

As i said before on this thread a couple of years back, its possible to cherry pick the parts and have the tub specified to exactly what you want by following my route. The only hiccup i encountered by importing from the states is that i was sent a 110v to 12v transformer for the tub internal light. I'm going to replace that with a solar powered one soon enough.

Apart from that, importing the tub and specifying exactly what i wanted got me a superior tub with superior parts than those ready built cedar hot tubs advertised in the uk at a higher price! Plus i have the achievement of knowing there's not another like it in Britain(Blue tooth hot tubbing anyone)? :)

I'll give Art's company another plug as its been very worthwhile. I'd love to hear from anybody that treads a similar path.

http://www.almostheaven.net/aho/ahpsprcs.htm

Sponsored Links
That's another year passed by and this was the year to re-oil the deck. I used Ronseal decking oil (natural oak). It works really well as it never flakes, it does fade though and needs to be done every two years or so here in Scotland. Before and after shots below.

Before,

After

This has made a huge difference to the tub area. Looks like new again and the greenery is working well, cheers! P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back