rounded off screw in door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I was putting a cat flap in my front door and have rounded off one of the screw I can't get it in or out, what can I do?

Sponsored Links
Try & drill it.
Split the wood, get pliers & pull it out with pincers.
Thats the prob with diy, you used the wrong tools & f*&^ it

That's the thing its gone right through the door but the head isn't flush enough its sticking right out and I can't put the cap on top of it as to much is hanginging out the hole and I can't get it in nor out

use a small metal drill on the head and try drill it off then u can poke it through.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean try to drill it in more? If I try to drill it won't that just round it more?

get a tapered flat screwdriver 2 or3 mm narrower than the diagonal tap firmly in and unscrew
on take your battery drill in low gear no1 open chuck enough to get it over the screw head and tighten unscrew at minimum speed or if you only have a corded drill unplug as above and rotate the drill by hand

I know its probably to late but just popped onto the site after a while off it, with regards to the worn screw head you can buy a diamond screw remover set from tools direct for £3.89 you get 5 different sizes in the set.

You put them in your drill(put in reverse)and the cutting edge on them cuts into the head of the screw and will unscrew it for you.
Very handy to have anyway as its a comon problem these days with the cheap material screw are made from.

Romario.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back