Rounded Wheel Nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
stupid 17mm wheel nuts on my van, one has rounded - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
5/8 is too small and don't have a 21/32, did manage to hammer on a 16mm but that rounded too
(dn't have access to a welder)

Have a look at Irwin nut removers - I've shifted knackered locking wheel nuts with them.
It's best to bray them on really hard (they cut on a spline principle) then press like hell as you turn.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think I know someone with a set of these - better give him a bell and ask if he wants to try some of my latest home brew - the subject of stuck wheel nut might come into the conversation :whistle:

If you have removed all of the other nuts completly and this is the last one then put a couple back and come back to the stuck one.

I had this problem on a Bedford Rascal ! - tools in the back, stillsons no good but unusually for a plumber I had a sharp cold chisel and lump hammer- that did it . By the side of the road:evil: on the way home

I had this problem on a Bedford Rascal ! - tools in the back, stillsons no good but unusually for a plumber I had a sharp cold chisel and lump hammer- that did it . By the side of the road:evil: on the way home
Not whilst up on the jack I hope! :)

Another vote for hammer and cold chisel. Get the chisel at just the right angle to start to turn the nut probably about 30 degrees. Replace all the other nuts first and it may be worth trying some wd40 or similar overnight before giving it some welly.

WD40 overnight, then large mole grip and scaffolding post.
Did once to my transit and it worked.
Just need to get the mole grip at the right torque.
Good luck.

Unless you have a flat tyre, whiz it round to your nearest tyre shop and they’ll get it off for you.

Sponsored Links
Back