Router for building kitchen & other house-centric projects?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've got a new house to modernise and fit out - for fun rather than for work - so, after not having used a router for quite a few years, am now planning to buy one. The main tasks are likely to be building kitchen units & other fitted furniture, installing worktops, hanging doors & fitting ironmongery, maybe jointing some floorboards, etc.

The Dewalt DW625 is one contender, but maybe a rather heavy duty (and heavy weight) for my needs, and I gather that the duct extraction isn't special? The mid-range 1400W DW622 would probably have been my choice a couple of years ago, but it's now discontinued and the few still around are selling for more than the 625. And I'm not convinced that I should drop down from a ½" model to the ¼" DW621, although I've not ruled it out. I'm less familiar with other brands.

Thoughts on what I should consider (with good dust extract) would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Well the DW622 always did cost more than a DW625, possibly because DW never bothered to inform anyone of its benefits! Sorry to hear that it has gone (it was ever hard to find)

If you intend to joint worktops then I'd say you need at least 1400 watts (ideally 1800 or more), a plunge action and a 1/2 in collet. 1/2in shank cutters rarely snap - 1/4 in ones can do on heavy cuts like a worktop joints. That rules out the DW621, Makita RP1100, etc. despite their good extraction. For dust extraction you really can't beat a Festool and they have two 1/2 in models - the OF1400 and the OF2200 - which have excellent extraction. The rest of the market is just as poor on DX as the DW625 IMHO. I had a Festool OF1400 for a short time but couldn't live with some of its handling quirks (I found it downright uncomfortable to use) which is why I bought a DW622. I do have an OF2200 ,(mainly for Corian - tried Makita, Bosch and Hitachi as well), but the price is eye watering and it really is a big lump. So if you go out and buy a 2000 watt (approx) 1/2 in router you'll have to accept poorer extraction unless you splash out a lot.

TBH dust extraction on worktop joints is never that good - even on a Festool - and there are some good aftermarket base/fence add ons for DX which improve the dust control (e.g. the Oneida sub base). Hell, I even resort to taping a half coffee cup under the base of my DW622 when edge routing MDF to get better extraction. It works too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have look at the Triton range in particular the 1400 or 2400 watt ones. But will take both 1/4 and 1/2 inch colletts. Have better than most dust extraction. Both have fixed or plunge action.
I have the 1400 watt one and very happy with it.

Don't you find them a bit top-heavy for hand held routing? They have certainly seemed that way to me when I've handled them on shows

Sponsored Links
Don't you find them a bit top-heavy for hand held routing?

No, guess the handle shape (round knobs) could make them feel top-heavy when you are used to pistol grip handles. I always feel to be in full control of the router unlike when using some others but then I was brought on using a B&D one from the 1960's which has round handles.

Thanks to you both for your helpful advice; I hope to take a look at the Tritons at the weekend :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back