Router for Carpenter/builder(door hinges etc)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad is a carpenter, and any one have any reccomendations of router for him?

he does doorframes/hinges a lot.

should i get 1/2 or 1/4 inch?

what other things should i look for?

any reccomendations?

Sponsored Links
My dad is a carpenter, and any one have any reccomendations of router for him?

he does doorframes/hinges a lot.

should i get 1/2 or 1/4 inch?

what other things should i look for?

any reccomendations?

Smaller router is best for routering out hinge holes--in conjunction with a 'hinge jig'.
If removing a 'lot of meat'-(worktops-etc/-larger router is best.

makita routers every time :) :)

I like the dewalt router that used to be elu's ,1/4"mof 96 is a grand router very smooth and powerful for its size, the later dewalt model is also a good bit of kit, a lot of these palm routers look interesting ,I would be interested in anyones views on these?

If he hasn't got a router by now the odds are he doesn't want one.

He can probably have a door hung before a router man gets his jig set up.

Check with him before you buy.

Sponsored Links
If he hasn't got a router by now the odds are he doesn't want one.

He can probably have a door hung before a router man gets his jig set up.

Check with him before you buy.

Very true Joe,
But once it's all set up- he can rattle off 8 doors or so- in 1/4 of the time.
That's why they make the jigs Joe !! :LOL:
Same with mortice lock jig. 1/8th of the time.

All it takes is a little forward thinking. Splash out on the right tools and do the job quicker -AND BETTER. :)

dont mess around with inferior tools go for the best and get him a fesstool router.he will love you for it.

but as already said if as you say he is a chippy then if he thought he needed 1 then he wouldve got 1 by now,he may over the years decided it was tool that he wasnt confidant with so was happy doing his work without 1.

i worked with a chippy who never had a cordless and continued using his 'YANKEE'and was more then happy with using it.

dont mess around with inferior tools go for the best and get him a fesstool router.he will love you for it.

but as already said if as you say he is a chippy then if he thought he needed 1 then he wouldve got 1 by now,he may over the years decided it was tool that he wasnt confidant with so was happy doing his work without 1.

i worked with a chippy who never had a cordless and continued using his 'YANKEE'and was more then happy with using it.

You hit the nail right on the head bud.

Harbourwoodwork";p="2505348 said:
dont mess around with inferior tools go for t
he best and get him a fesstool router.
well I hope the lad has plenty of money

A few quid spent now- and the cost spread over a whole career-- pays dividends .

Here's my slant on spending on tools .
1/ Always buy the best and most proven.
2/ Listen to what other tradesmen say about certain tools.
3/ Every job you do- make sure you put the cost of your next needed tool onto the bill.
4/Look after your tools-- keep them sharp and clean.
5/ The tools you buy and use can either make you lots of money and make jobs quicker and more profitable -OR
6/ Crap tools can cause you to waste time and materials and leave you with a finished job that deep down- you are not happy with.
7/ Do not listen to the 'old brigade' who say they have managed for zillions of years without the power tools of today.
8/ Take pride in your work . Word of good work spreads- and saves you having to advertise (which can cost plenty).
9/ If there is a tool you want and it's too expensive right now- Just ignore the cost and buy it-. It will give you a feel good factor .
10/ When you get busy- 'UP' your rates when anyone enquires about hiring you.

Lots more- but- have to wait right now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back