Router giving full signal but dropping connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies as I know there is another post on this but having sort of different problems.
We are getting regular throughout the day, drops in connection ranging from a few minutes to well over an hour.
Time of day and night can be any time too.
The strange thing is that the when the connection drops the signal still is showing as full strength on all devices (it never shows no internet connection).
This has happened over the last month or so and the only difference is it is no behind a new TV rather then on a shelf underneath the old one (itself and everything else is still in the same place). However, the drop in connection did not happen at the same time as the new tv.
We did get changed to channel 11 to see if that made a difference but no one from tap talk called us back to check (in any case, we still had the same problem).
I've been speaking to talk talk again recently, but they have said there is no issue with the line.
They said they would send an engineer over but if the fault was not found to be that of talk talk, I would be charged around £60 which I have refused.
I would expect an engineer as part of my service and if the fault wasn't that of talk talk, then they just simply wouldn't fix it (rather than charge me for the privilege of just telling me).
Anyway, I did offer to replace the router and connectors if they sent me a new one to rule out a router issue (and said I would send it back if it wasn't the router), but they refused on the basis that only an engineer can fit a new router (seriously!!!).

So I guess I have two questions;

1. Is there any thoughts on what the issue is!
2. Is the TV (new smart TV) likely to cause this interference even though it was working ok at the start?

Thanks in advance as I'm losing the will with my wireless at the moment.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming you have some wired connections as well so you know for certain it is not the internet effing up.

You should be able to go into the routers settings and change the channels yourself very easily, sometimes takes a handful of attempts till you find a channel that works.

Hi,

when the wifi connection fails, does the wired connection also fail, or can wired clients still access the network ok ?

there are only three non overlapping channels on the 2.4 band (802.11b/g) and so its highly likely that you are sharing a channel with your neighbours. This is normall and should not cause outages lasting for hours at a time. Its more usual to see throughput degredation rather than complete loss of connectivity.

it is possible that the TV is interfeering with the router but it would need to right up close to it and i imagine you would see issues for the entire time the TV was on. So im not convinced, but you could try just moving it.

typical sources of interference on the 2.4 band are microwave ovens (seriously.. we see this all the time), and bluetooth phones. Bluetooth is a nightmare, it bleeds over all the 2.4 channels.

If you are not loosing RF when the outage occours, it could be that you have an IP related problem. Perhaps an overlapping IP address conflict somewhere on the LAN.

Next time it happens, try pinging the gateway of your lan (the ip address of the router). If you get replies from that, the problem does indeed lie beyond there on TT's network.

If that works ok, then try to ping something by hostname 'ping www.bt.com' for example, you may be having issues contacting your DNS server.

You would exect to tsee your PC resolve www.bt.com to an IP address before sending the ping.

if you dont get replies from the router, check that the router can ping other wireless devices, if it can, then look for an IP address conflict.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you have an android phone get the free app "WIFI Analyzer" and this will show you all the local wifi networks and the channels that they are on so that you will know if it is because of another signal on the same channel.

It may also be the wifi bit of the router going faulty, what router is it?

Have you got it next to your phone?

Can you move it so that the TV is not in the way?

Back