router problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i have sky broadband which is in the kitchen down stairs my son has computer in his bedroom upstairs he has got pc card in the back which picks up router but we are constantly have problems where his games are lagging can anybody give me some serious advise not bring his computer downstairs

Sponsored Links
I am not familiar with sky, but if normally with this problem you could try changing the channel which the router broadcasts on as it may be conflicting with a neighbours router

RUn the PC via an ethernet cable, forget wifi.

Check there is no extension plugged in with the router and that it is plugged into the master socket., try just the router and microfilter in the test socket (if your master phone point has a removable plate).

Sponsored Links
Mattylad is correct. Run a cable between his computer and the router. Always a faster connection with wired rather than wifi. I get about 9.8mb/s connection speed through wired, but if I use wifi, it drops drastically to around 2.3mb/s (and my computer is only 3ft away from the router)

What is the point in running a cable from upstairs to downstairs when its a wireless router?

It defeats the object somewhat doesn't it?

If the router and computer card are "n" standard, then they will be more than fast enough

What is the point in running a cable from upstairs to downstairs when its a wireless router?

If the router and computer card are "n" standard, then they will be more than fast enough

Doesn't matter if it's 802.11a, b, g, n, or even y. It's still unreliable, inconsistent, and high latency.

Wired lan will always be faster than Wireless ,Some games need to receive & process the data quickly so wirless may not be good enough.

For information, ethernet LAN can run at 10, 100 or 1000 bits per second. Wireless can be as slow as 2Mbps, or as fast as 150Mbps. Most routers supplied free by the ISPs have switches running at 100Mbps and wireless running connections at 54Mbs. Some very recent "free" routers will have gigabit switches and/or 108/150 Mbs wireless. However, with wireless, there can be times where the wireless signal suffers interference which causes temporary slowdown, or even dropout. This does not affect normal web browsing, e-mails or even using network resources but as gaming is "live" and like time and tide, wait for no man, for a serious gamer, I would always suggest fully wired connections.

Wireless can be as slow as 2Mbps, or as fast as 150Mbps.

600 is the quoted number, these days. In reality even those overpriced polished turds (sorry, but there's nothing else you can do with the 2.4GHz band) don't even come remotely close to their claimed speeds.

Guys,

You are not reading the question. The game lags.

This could be for a number of reasons, from the pc being too slow for the game, to the game server being in another country to the wifi standard not being met.....

Let's ask some fundamentals. When you say lag, is it just on that game? Does IE or chrome lag also?

What speed is the net synch'ing at? What speed test results do you get from a wired vs a wifi connection? Try www.speedtest.net and post the results please.

Doobs.

i have just done speed test and the computer connected to router was 2.45 mbps upload 0.54 the computer up stairs which is wireless is 2.63mbps download and 0.59

Doesn't matter if it's 802.11a, b, g, n, or even y. It's still unreliable, inconsistent, and high latency.

Maybe so, but the point is why should the OP be advised to run a cable from upstairs, and route it god knows where down to the kitchen router. Including hiding it or patching the decs up afterwards?

Why not just accept the fact that wireless routers are designed to work err ... wirelessly? That is why we buy them

I've got a wireless router, it works without lag and well .... it just works. So it seems that the technology to get a stable internet connection without messy and disruptive cables is available

i have just done speed test and the computer connected to router was 2.45 mbps upload 0.54 the computer up stairs which is wireless is 2.63mbps download and 0.59

Its working more or less the same then from each location, wired or wireless.

Have you tried altering the router broadcast channel?

Does this lag occur all the time or at certain times of day?
Could it be other processes going on on the laptop at the same time?

Maybe so, but the point is why should the OP be advised to run a cable from upstairs, and route it god knows where down to the kitchen router. Including hiding it or patching the decs up afterwards?

Why not just accept the fact that wireless routers are designed to work err ... wirelessly? That is why we buy them

I've got a wireless router, it works without lag and well .... it just works. So it seems that the technology to get a stable internet connection without messy and disruptive cables is available

Just because you can use wireless, doesn't mean you should. The technology is not reliable, and does not work in all situations.

You'll note I have not made any such suggestions, as I don't know the first damn thing about his setup, and frankly, it's impossible to diagnose and cure such issues remotely. I have merely stated some simple facts about wireless technology which you, apparently, are not interested in knowing.

Sponsored Links
Back