router table

Rails for shaker cabinet doors, I know you need to help the end cut with some kind of rail to keep square, and your fingers, but wondering best practice to get straight. I see what you mean about running block against fence, i guess that will guarentee its square?
Was thinking somethin like this?
However as fence not fixed i was worried that if i made mitre for rail that is fixed and i set fence wrong it will ruin cut.
I have a t&g bit, and will practice with some spare softwood before a test run with an oak board and 9mm ply i have. If that works i will go ahead and spruce up my kitchen finaly :D
i have found oak vaneered ply for centre of doors, with a bit of oil it may just work.

Sponsored Links
Nah, forget it! You are over thinking it IMHO. All you need is a squaring piece - basically a 12 x 12in corner off an MDF sheet which you fix a knob on top of. It is run against the fence and you hold the workpiece down with your fingere. If you want to get really fancy you could always build a DIY version of the "coping sled" sold by some retailers. The difficulty with using a router is that the height you cab raise the cutter above the router table is very limited

Sweet, love that idea. Shall do a test run asap. Should garentee a square cut even if fence off i suppose, still waiting for that nvr switch, axminster are being douchebags. Been 10 days. Then im all set. If needs be I can look at that collet extension you mentioned before. Are they universal or should i look for something particular for m12ve?

If needs be I can look at that collet extension you mentioned before. Are they universal or should i look for something particular for m12ve?
They're pretty much universal - they normally have a 1/2in shaft to insert into the collet on the router - it's the other end where there's a difference. In general the ones that work best use a multi-slot collet, like the ER-20 collet used by the Ax model, whilst the poorer quality ones have one to 4-slot collets which aren't as good

Above: Simple squaring piece
Below: Fancier home-made version of a "coping sled"

Note the clear acrylic guard above the cutter (highly recommended!)

Sponsored Links
Do most fences use them? Any tips for bending 10mm acrylic :LOL:
I'm assuming that you'll be using a grooving cutter, like one of these, mounted on an arbor. If you are using a fence a guide bearing isn't strictly necessary. That would give you a set which when made up would look a bit like this:
If you mount two groovers with spacers in between you can cut your tongue (actually it's properly referred to as a stub tenon) in one pass:
Because the cutter will project through the fence and will be hidden by the material you are machining and the squaring piece/sled it's as well to attach something like a piece of 2 x 1in PAR softwood above it temporarily, edge on and say 10mm above the surface of the table. By doing that you run less risk of having an accident by sticking a finger into the cutter. It's as much a visual reminder of where the cutter is when it is hidden inside the workpiece as of anything else. It's standard industrial safety practice to guard exposed cutters - regardless of what the guys across the pond thinj or say (most of them are not trained woodworkers)

Hopefully these should clarify the matter:
Above: View from above the cutter. Note that it is covered from this viewpoint
Below: From the outfeed side showing that the push block "handle" will clear the cutter guard

As to bending 10mm acrylic, I think you'll find that a bit awkward. Thinner stuff up to 3 or 4mm can be heated with a heat gun and bent easily over a piece of softwood, but the thicker it gets the harder it gets

yea, this one from trend.
I get ya, if i measure it right it may help stop stock rising, or should i give a little clearence.
Actually it will snag the cutter if that low i guess.
And safety first, I hear that.
Thats a great app you use fordrawing, or program on pc?

Have been on 'router forum' some knowledable folk but thinkn they speak another language over there. Not just sizes, but talk of exotic woods i wouldnt know and talk in code it seems. Your clear n simple for a novice like me. :oops:

Heres a question, I have my scissor jack mounted and working well under my table. And its nice and smooth with great fine adjustment, however, when raising the router the mounting plate raises a little as well. I am having to hold down plate and lock of height then lower jack a turn to use it. how do you all overcome this?
Woukd it be couple of machine screws counter sunk into recess off mdf? Only problem with this is it is quite thin for that.
Also can I expect any problems from dust falling into router?

when raising the router the mounting plate raises a little as well. I am having to hold down plate and lock of height then lower jack a turn to use it. how do you all overcome this?
You'll need to drill and countersink your mounting plate and screw it down onto the router table. If necessary repair washers and wingnuts on the underside

Also can I expect any problems from dust falling into router?
Always a good idea to hook-up a vacuum cleaner to take dust away from beneath the table, I'd say. I use the same vac I carry for the Festool saw and chop saw, and to do clean-up at the end of some jobs, but a household vac is almost as good, so long as you remember to empty it! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back