Dewalt Router 626 (advice please)

Just got my DW708, boy what a toy!!! Although its big, it is great, very accurate and easy to use, and the rang of cuts it can do is very impressive. Cant comment on the Makita, but i think it was well worth the money

Thermo

Sponsored Links
I havent used the makita but I did read a review about it (after I bought the DW). From what I recall (if I have the right number) it has a slightly larger capacity than the DW and is also slightly cheaper. I have seen them in the local tool store and it does not seem as chunky as the DW but I am sure it is a very fine piece of kit

That is one of two of the only problems I have with it.

It does weigh a tonne but then again it does make the saw very stable.

My other problem with it is the dust collection bag is pretty much just really there for show! :)

It still doesnt make as much mess as the router though :p .

Ive got a DW708 too :) Im very happy with it, some slight problems with angles being correct but nothing too severe, 15mins of setup fixed that.

I also got the DeWalt stand with it, and to be honest I could not do without it, cutting 6m lengths of 2x4 isnt easy unless you have the support either side.

I got a DW625EK as well, from http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=DW625EK&ID=122

209incVAT, thats over £80 cheaper than anywhere else I could find it and their service is excellent, I would recommend them.

Cheers,
Tom

Sponsored Links
I have the DeWalt 708 saw and the DeWalt stand to go with it, these are an excellent combination, I use them for cutting roofs and the accuracy you get makes the job enjoyable (ish!).

http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=DE7023&ID=816

I also have the DeWalt router 625EK but this is used in a router table only but it is extemely powerful and very reliable.

You may find it worth buying a smaller router too as it's easier to control a smaller router when hand holding.

Going back to the routers(!) I find having a 1/4 inch one is well worth it. You can use it one handed, and generally far more places than the 2300Watt monsters, such as for hinge recesses on fixed door frames. I often use it in one hand upside down with say a rounding-over bit, and move a piece of wood across it with the other hand. I've had a Bosch one for many years which has a Swiss motor, designed as a toolpost grinder. It's quite a small diameter so it's easy to hold by the body. Also great for sharpening gouges, with a stone capable of running at 30krpm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back