router, which what and how

B

breezer

just beem doing a quick search for a router. they sound interesting, as i understand it, i can plug both pc's into it and bothgo online at same time. (obviously sharing available band width, so if one is using 75% other can only have 25%

Am i right so far?

next question, obviously it depneds on which one, but are they really "plug and prey" ("play") and as i only have 2 pcs do they need anything that is not in the box (i know depending on which i get) but i mean like a printer, we all know you need a cable for one, because there isnt one in the box. but what is the case with a router.

does the same pc have to be on or is a router "independant" regardless of wjich pc is on?

is there any particular one you would suggest? (i know masona has one) or one to steer clear of?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
just beem doing a quick search for a router. they sound interesting, as i understand it, i can plug both pc's into it and bothgo online at same time. (obviously sharing available band width, so if one is using 75% other can only have 25%

Am i right so far?

Pretty much. You probably won't notice much difference with 2.

breezer said:
next question, obviously it depneds on which one, but are they really "plug and prey" ("play") and as i only have 2 pcs do they need anything that is not in the box (i know depending on which i get) but i mean like a printer, we all know you need a cable for one, because there isnt one in the box. but what is the case with a router.

You will need a network card for each PC, unless already built in. You will probably get one patch cable to connect to one PC, so you will need another, unless using a wireless router and adaptors. Everything else should be in the box. You need to program the router with your Internet account details, but there is usually a wizard with the better makes and it's really quite simple to get started.

breezer said:
does the same pc have to be on or is a router "independant" regardless of wjich pc is on?

Buy a router with a built in modem. The router is independent. You basically program the router with your broadband account details. Most of the best come with a four port switch, so you could connect up to four directly wired PCs. This can be expanded by adding switches if needed.

breezer said:
is there any particular one you would suggest? (i know masona has one) or one to steer clear of?

Personally, I like the Draytek range, but they can be expensive. If you have ADSL, then the 2500 or 2600 series or the 2900 for cable. These routers have a good built in firewall. Some even have VPN and VOIP capability

The netgear range (masonas has been discontinued) are also good as are Linksys and 3COM. It really depends on your budget. Like most other stuff, you need to keep the firmware up to date.

Sponsored Links
breezer - if you have cable and the modem has a network connection, all you have to do is plug the modem into the router, and each computer into the router. switch on and your done. if you have ADSL, itll need to be set up with your account details for it to connect to the net

i have an ST LAB broadband router. was under £30 and so far i have not had a problem with it

Igorian said:
breezer said:

Am i right so far?

Pretty much. You probably won't notice much difference with 2.
We have 4 pc's and 2 wireless laptop from the router and all the speed is the same unless one of them is downloading a big files but even then it's okay.

I'm using BT broadband.

Breezer, if you buy a switch instead of a router you will get the same thru-put from both machines. However one thing to be aware of is that the NIC's in the machines must be rated at the same . ie both 10/100 and setup to run at the same speed, full auto is best.

This is because the switch will operate at the slowest speed NIC attached to it. Routers are OK but they have serious limitations.

i saved about £30 on a switch, i didn't buy it. i wasnt sure if i should / shouldn't. i saw on network cards 10/100,so i presume thats what an nic is (just thought, its not network interface card, is it :oops: )

i will pop along to my favorite store tomorrow and see what they have (thats actually have in the shop)

Sparky Jim said:
Breezer, if you buy a switch instead of a router you will get the same thru-put from both machines. However one thing to be aware of is that the NIC's in the machines must be rated at the same . ie both 10/100 and setup to run at the same speed, full auto is best.

This is because the switch will operate at the slowest speed NIC attached to it. Routers are OK but they have serious limitations.

No, he needs a router. How else will he connect to the Internet? A switch is designed to connect PCs on the same subnet. Breezer is effectively connecting his private network of two PCs to another network, i.e., the Internet.

On the subject of switches, most are auto sensing, so speed is optimised, whatever you connect to it.

What limitations do you think a router has?

So which is better, a switch, a USB modem, or a router?

I'm still learning here: before I moved home I had 1mb broadband with Wanadoo, through a USB modem. At my new place here I've signed up with BT-Yahoo for their 2mb service, and they've sent me a "router". To be honest, I don't know the difference - except the router connects to the PC via ethernet rather than USB.

It all goes live tomorrow so I'll let you know how much better (if any) the performance is. (at the moment I'm using a temporary AOL dial up connection which is like trying to push an elephant through a straw!)

Another thing: When I signed up with BT-Yahoo they said that I could connect 2 machines to my broadband: There appears to only be one ethernet connection on the router, and only one on my PC, so how do I go about sharing the connection with my flatmate?

ninebob said:
Another thing: When I signed up with BT-Yahoo they said that I could connect 2 machines to my broadband: There appears to only be one ethernet connection on the router, and only one on my PC, so how do I go about sharing the connection with my flatmate?

If the router only has a single ethernet port, you can expand by buying a switch. The ethernet port on the router connects to one of those on the switch and the PCs also connect to the spare ports on the switch.

Most switches are auto sensing, in that you can connect any type of device to any port, however some are not. The difference in cost is insignificant, so buy an auto sensing one.

Alternatively, your ISP supplied router could be filed in the bin and you could invest in an better ADSL modem/router/switch (generally 4 port) as mentioned in earlier posts.

Igorian, I am on the side of Sparky Jim, I use switches and never routers. Routers are a pain the rear and unreliable in my opinion.

I have always used switches as they are far superior to routers.

If you doubt that what I say is accurate, I can post pictures of my old SETI network that was connected using switches, and these connected straight to the internet via a broadband modem, the very same modem I am using now.

I will agree with the comment you make about auto-sensing, switches are, but many cheaper units will operate at the lower speed of the attached network cards.

I' be interested to know which modem/switch you have FWL. Do you have multiple IP addresses assigned by your ISP? If not, how do you distribute your single address to your network?

Or, are you using another form of routing, like ICS, in which case you would need some form of routing device, like a PC which is always on?

Make and Model aside, in what way is a router unreliable?

thanks so far, now theres more....................

got a router, 2 network cards, cables one pc knows network card is there (not this one) but i shall worry about that later (my problem)
everyone says yep easy, one small problem. i have a stingray bt broadband modem, it has 2 connections, phone line (obviously) and wait for it, usb connection. so my question is what else must i now go and get to get it all working? because i cant connect the adsl modem to the router becuse there is no usb on the router, so do i need a usb to cat 55 (think thaths what it has) socket or should i just get my coat and go home?

You wanted a router with a built in modem, like I mentioned earlier.

Sponsored Links
Back