router, which what and how

thanks but they did't actually have any (none for me to take away), and as usual "oh yes sir this will work"

any further suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Take it back. It sounds like they have given you a cable router.

Breezer, try this

This is the newer version of the unit I have sat under my desk at the moment, ADSL modem with 4 port 10/100 ethernet switch buildt in. Ogorian, I know that Dabs call it a router, but it is fact a switch.

You can use as a "dial-up" or like I do , always on, so I don't need my PC's running for the Laptop to connect via the wireless link..I have a wireless access point plugged into one Ethernet port.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
Breezer, try this

This is the newer version of the unit I have sat under my desk at the moment, ADSL modem with 4 port 10/100 ethernet switch buildt in. Ogorian, I know that Dabs call it a router, but it is fact a switch.

You can use as a "dial-up" or like I do , always on, so I don't need my PC's running for the Laptop to connect via the wireless link..I have a wireless access point plugged into one Ethernet port.

Sorry, FWL, but you are quite wrong. A switch and a router perform different functions. A switch is used WITHIN a network to provide connectivity and a router is used to connect TWO separate networks running different subnets. Neither can do the job of the other because a switch requires all PCs to be on the same subnet where a router requires that the WAN have a different subnet to the LAN

The one you mention is in fact a ROUTER with a BUILT IN MODEM and SWITCH, ie a 3 IN 1 device. There is no way that a switch can handle NAT. Even DLINK call this a router, or are you saying they are wrong as well.

Generally, I find your advice good, but on this occasion, you are just causing confusion. Go do an N+ course and then come back.

However, this ROUTER will do the job.

Igorian, as you are the expert on this I will conceed to your knowledge on this, I have been basing my comments on the information contained in the user manual for my Modem..and it clearly states it is a Modem and SWITCH in one unit. There is no mention of Router functionality in any of it.

The modem acts as the interface between the LAN and WAN, just the same a dial up modem does, and the rest of ths unit acts as a switch in order to allow connectivety of the network.

When I had my large SETI setup I tried to setup the two networks seperatly to keep the dedicated SETI machines seperate from the personal machines, so both had their own subnet, but this did not work. I contacted D-Link, and they said that it would not work as the modem was not a router but a modem and switch..he did do into some technical gumpf which I have forgotten.

FWL_Engineer said:
The modem acts as the interface between the LAN and WAN, just the same a dial up modem does, and the rest of ths unit acts as a switch in order to allow connectivety of the network.

Not quite.

The modem acts as an interface between the computer side and the communication line side. It modulates and demodulates signals, hence the name modem. This is true of analogue and digital modems.

The router acts as the interface between WAN & WAN and also provides a NAT interace between WAN & LAN . Consider a network of let's say 2 PCs, each must have a unique private IP address and so two are needed. Your ISP generally only supplies with you with one IP address, so the router has to 'spoof' this using network address translation (NAT) onto your private network. To do this, the router has to identify all PCs directly connected to it. It also has to know about all the other routers connected to it. It then builds a routing table, so it can determine exactly where to send packets. NAT also acts as a natural firewall, hiding your internal IP addresses. When one of the PCs sends a request to the web, the router stores the request, and sends it off to the net. When a reply comes back, the router opens the header and tries to match it to the stored requests. If a match is found the packet is forwarded to the appropriate PC and the web page or download or whatever will start. If the request is not matched, like in the case of a DOS attack or even a PING, it will be dropped and not get to the LAN side.

Now, the switch as I said before, only works within the private network. If you had compared it to a hub, you would be correct in saying that it is more efficient. When a hub receives traffic, it relays this traffic to EVERY other port on the hub. A switch will work out which other port needs the traffic and the highest speed it can be sent at. That's basically all it does. Oh, it might have some collision detection.

That's routing basics covered. Some routers have much more advanced features.

FWL_Engineer said:
When I had my large SETI setup I tried to setup the two networks seperatly to keep the dedicated SETI machines seperate from the personal machines, so both had their own subnet, but this did not work. I contacted D-Link, and they said that it would not work as the modem was not a router but a modem and switch..he did do into some technical gumpf which I have forgotten.

You can't really do it if the router has a built in modem (Unless it has an additional WAN port) because you have actually lost a physical connection to the router part. The router is internally connected to the modem and the only socket required and available is the DSL one. However, you can do it with cable routers because they have bone fide WAN ports. Now remember, 2 routers required, one for each subnet. The PCs connect on each side, via the LAN ports as usual and the two routers connect together via the WAN ports. You then assign the routers an IP address with a different subnet (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 for example) and the routers should do the rest. You may need to set a static route between the two routers, but will depend on the router.

Mine is similar to Jim's... I have this one which has a 4-port switch AND a 54mbps wireless access point built in too, as well as a USB wireless dongle. I used it to replace a router that got taken out in the "Great Computer Fire of My Bedroom" as well as an aging network switch.

You can easily switch on and off the wireless side of it too, so no need to worry about the radiation if you aren't using it just yet. :D

:D :D
i have a router with bult in modem, i can now be here and let mrs breezer surf

only one problem, it doesnt drop te line but it appears to drop the modem (both pc's do, but not at same time, them it comes back all by itself. i guess its some thing to with modem settings, but i was too tired to look, going to look at week end. thanks everybody

Igorian said:
Not quite.

The modem acts as an interface between the computer side and the communication line side. It modulates and demodulates signals, hence the name modem. This is true of analogue and digital modems.

You'd best speak to the people that made my equipment then mate as you know more than they do. I have based my comments, AS I SAID, on the information in their User Manual and also with converstaions I had with their tech Guys when I bought the thing about 18 months ago.

Igorian said:
You can't really do it if the router has a built in modem (Unless it has an additional WAN port) because you have actually lost a physical connection to the router part. The router is internally connected to the modem and the only socket required and available is the DSL one. However, you can do it with cable routers because they have bone fide WAN ports. Now remember, 2 routers required, one for each subnet. The PCs connect on each side, via the LAN ports as usual and the two routers connect together via the WAN ports. You then assign the routers an IP address with a different subnet (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 for example) and the routers should do the rest. You may need to set a static route between the two routers, but will depend on the router.

As I do not have cable, you must be wrong Igorian, and I have the pictures to prove it...and 30,008 completed SETI work units!!

the_pig_sty.jpg

The above picture shows the smaller part of my old setup..known as the pig sty due to the cable routing (or lack of it for a while). On the shelf at the top you can see the Modem, this is connected to a small four port switch, with the small row of green LEDs Illuminated, this then feeds the 24 port switch beside it (under the then unused 24 port USR switch). The three other ports on the four port then feed other switches not in this picture. The Laptop on the top right and the three main computers share a switch, and this too is plugged into the modem directly allowing me to control the main network using VNC.

The Modem is NOT a router, and there is no router in my possession. then or now.

So, is this a different setup from the one we were talking about with the DLINK? I can't really tell anything from the picture, so can't determine how many networks or what kit is being used. I'd need to see it close up or at least a diagram. I'd be interested to know which modem is in the picture.

If there is more than one network here, what connects the two subnets? Are there really two subnets?

FWL_Engineer said:
As I do not have cable, you must be wrong Igorian, and I have the pictures to prove it...and 30,008 completed SETI work units!!

You missed the point. I was describing the method of connecting two subnets. Having cable is irrelevant, just that cable routers can be connected.

FWL_Engineer said:
The above picture shows the smaller part of my old setup..known as the pig sty due to the cable routing (or lack of it for a while). On the shelf at the top you can see the Modem, this is connected to a small four port switch, with the small row of green LEDs Illuminated, this then feeds the 24 port switch beside it (under the then unused 24 port USR switch). The three other ports on the four port then feed other switches not in this picture. The Laptop on the top right and the three main computers share a switch, and this too is plugged into the modem directly allowing me to control the main network using VNC.

The Modem is NOT a router, and there is no router in my possession. then or now.

I'd be interested to learn the model of that modem on top. Also, why are you using VNC to control the main network? Is this the only connection to it? Have you got a diagram. Would be easier to explain.

FWL_Engineer said:

It's not a trial dude. I hoped that I was providing you with some useful information and in fact am still trying.

Could his router have an ISDN port, and if so he could be using this to connect to the web. This would look like a simple modem connection to the uninitiated!

You never know he may even have a Kilostream :eek:

Igorian, I will do you a diagram and post it so perhaps our thinking can merge... :)

Fire, No ISDN mate, dumped that years ago, purely Broadband. At the time of the above picture a 2MB/1MB connection Business line, currently the same modem is running a 4MB/2MB line (again Business).

EDIT

OK, I have managed to find a page that was put together at the time with the help of my mate who helped me set it all up..he is the Global IT Director for Chase Manhatten Bank. He did some things with the OS's which I am not sure of, all I know was the SETI software.

The Modem I am hanging onto as they are now out of production, and the only one that D-Link do of this nature is the DSL 504 which is a router.

Anyway, here is a LINK to a page with the diagram on and a brief description. Igorian, in case your wondering, the slowest machine there is terms of processing speed was the quad Xeon.

FWL_Engineer said:
currently the same modem is running a 4MB/2MB line

Yeh, keep rubbing it in, I can't get 4meg cos my phoneline is rubbish. And after they got my hopes up too. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Might I suggest that with that SETI farm, you could head over to this thread and just give us a yes or no answer ;)

Sponsored Links
Back