router, which what and how

AdamW said:
FWL_Engineer said:
currently the same modem is running a 4MB/2MB line

Yeh, keep rubbing it in, I can't get 4meg cos my phoneline is rubbish. And after they got my hopes up too. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Might I suggest that with that SETI farm, you could head over to this thread and just give us a yes or no answer ;)

Sorry Adam, I promise I will not Mention 4MB/2MB again! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Nice little system FWL.

The diagram doesn't make it clear how you are separating the subnets, because they kind of look like they are on the same subnet. What ip addresses and subnet masks do each of the subnets get and which device gets the public ip address.

I have to admit that I can't find any information on the DSL507, so can't make a comment here.

I notice the use of the server O/S. I've seen routing done this way, but only on a single subnet?

Igorian, I have emailed my mate that set-up the software side for me as this was his baby. What Nick has said in a quick reply is that basically the public IP was held by the modem, and the Server acted as a DNS server as a domain (intranet) and this is why the subnets could communicate as they did it via the server. I know that on the server Nick had installed a bit of software called IP mask and this prevented what he called "bleed over" that would stop the sub-domains from working as intended (I know the hardware not the software side).

I always assumed that he had set it up really simply, but it does explain why when I had a problem I could not solve it...and it cost me an expensive Indian meal and several flaggans of ale for Nick to sort..not bad as he travelled from Bournemouth to Barnet to do it!!

What Nick has said is basically the same as you Igorian, but he had configured the server to act as a software router (I had no idea this was possible), this is why it all worked.

Unfortunately Nick is in New York most of the time now, so if I did go crazy and build such a huge cruncher system again, I would need to buy a router and set it up as a conventional system.

When Nick gets the time to email me the full spiel on how he did it, and what software he used and setting etc, I will post his email as it may well be useful to many here.

breezer said:
:D :D
i have a router with bult in modem, i can now be here and let mrs breezer surf

only one problem, it doesnt drop te line but it appears to drop the modem (both pc's do, but not at same time, them it comes back all by itself. i guess its some thing to with modem settings, but i was too tired to look, going to look at week end. thanks everybody

If the modem disconnects, both PCs would too, at the same time. Which one did you buy in the end?

Sponsored Links
I'm suprised no-one suggested two network cards and a crossover cable...?

Internet connection sharing, DHCP Server, etc. I'm sure Igor the hardware would explain better! :D

I'm not tight, just careful with money... :p

Just thought, would FWL's setup be utilising the server as a DHCP server instead of the router/etc.?

I understand that this is quite a secure method of protecting the inner nodes of a network hiding behind the server? I'm no expert tho... :oops:

please note 10a

Back