routering for newbies!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never used a router before but I need to router a 4mm deep x 10mm wide notch around 5 fire doors to fit an intrumescent strip ,making them legit fire doors.

Any tips please as the edge of the doors will be about 44mm wide,are they easy enough to keep in a straight line along the edge or is there a knack to it, and what kind of bit should I be looking for to cut the gap as its new terminology to me ,collets and such! :eek:
thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
mikell - you want an Intumescent Recessor, available for 10mm & 15mm wide strips. Shanked for either 1/4" or 1/2" routers. Trend make them (as do other manufactures) and they cost circa £18 to £28 depending on shank size. Available from www.itslondon.co.uk and others.

As these router cutters rely on the router base plate sitting on the door face the 'rocking' issue is minimised. You can use a 2 flute straight cutter but the router has to sit on the door edge, thus a danger of 'rocking'; this can be reduced by increasing the area the router sits on by clamping battens along the door.

... and spend some time practising on similar sized scrap material before starting on the doors. You will need to get used to the feel of the router and find the appropriate feed rate.

also when routing using the guide fence if the fence is between you and the door you need to cut from left to right

if its behind the door its right to left

if you travel the wrong way the the cutter can pull off line

Sponsored Links
thanks guys,
all apreciated,
can I just use a 15mm router bit that comes in the box ( i seen them in aldi!) a cheap router and box of bits for 14.99.
Or the intrumescent 15mm one you mentioned is different to the 15mm one that comes with the router?
ta again.

As you are not used to the router get a proper intumescent cutter, its far easier to use and the cost of the bit will be far less than a mucked up door. I use the ones from Wealden tool

If you do go with a straight 15mm bit it is better to use a double fence setup so the router can't wander, but it's still difficult to route the groove in the top of the door when its laying on its side, far easier to lay it flat on a pair of saw horses and just whizz round using the bearing guide on the intumescent cutter.

Jason

I have seen the cutters on the sites you said so when this reaches 4mm depth it wont go any deeper ,is that the collar bit? It deffo seems worth following your advice,but have to wait till the router I bought off ebay turns up,dont know the shank size ,1/4 or 1/2 .
I will practice on some old doors first though as you say,to get a feel for it,( I aint even got any new doors yet,im just prepairing myself!! :eek: )
will let you know how I get on!

The bearing stops the cutter going deeper than required, do the routing after the door has been shot to fit the opening

Jason

Hi,
I bought a router off e bay and took the collet to b&q where they only had 1/2 on display and they wouldnt fit so ordered the 1/4 inch intumesent cutter off the site you recomended and now find that is too small!!
The collet is 8mm is there somewhere that deals in these sizes and not 1/2 or 1/4 inch,as im at aloss and pulling my hair out(whats left of it!!)
neither seems to fit at all ,give the guy his due he told me it was 8mm but didnt tell me it didnt take 1/2 or 1/4 inch my fault I spose but I did ask which it takes,and he didnt know.
any help please guys cheers.
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Hi,
I bought a router off e bay and took the collet to b&q where they only had 1/2 on display and they wouldnt fit so ordered the 1/4 inch intumesent cutter off the site you recomended and now find that is too small!!
The collet is 8mm is there somewhere that deals in these sizes and not 1/2 or 1/4 inch,as im at aloss and pulling my hair out(whats left of it!!)
neither seems to fit at all ,give the guy his due he told me it was 8mm but didnt tell me it didnt take 1/2 or 1/4 inch my fault I spose but I did ask which it takes,and he didnt know.
any help please guys cheers.
:( :( :( :( :( :(

dont waste your money buying doors to practice on buy some 3x2 par and practice on that[its 44mm like most doors]

what is the "exact "router make /model someone may be able to help

The site I linked to has them in 8mm, here it is again.

If you get the order in thismorning its 99% likely to be with you Monday, price includes VAt & Postage

Jason

Hi It is a ferm
router.
it may be easier to just buy the 14.99 from aldi than another 40 on a 8mm cutter.
I do have some wood to practice on ,just no router or cutters that fit!
I was so looking forward to having a little go as well!! :(

funny enough i have a little old ferm where the plastic cooling fan shatterd so can use it as it overheats so if i can have the model or at least the collet insert length if its a fit you can have it for nowt by first class post ;)

Very nice of you big all much appreciated, I have just found a shop that does reducers for about 8 quid,taking it from 8mm to 1/4 inch,that would prob be the way to go,( I checked the aldi one and it was also 8mm set up).
the model no is FERM fbf-8e , if it fits and you dont need it that would be cool,but no bother if it doesnt,at least the reducer willl get there!
thanks again gents!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back