Routing cables , how many wires through one hole ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing some old wiring and have added an extra socket into the main loop for a new boiler. Is it OK for me to run the mains wires for the socket alongside some existing lighting cables as the hole is big enough to take the 2 lighting cables (feed and return) and the 2 main cables (feed and return) ?

Thought I'd best check irst as hopefully I wont need to drill any extra holes

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should be ok then, but if you're wiring in a boiler it should be direct on a 3A FCU and not on a plug to a socket.

Thanks , I haven't been able to locate an unswitched 3a fcu with flex outlet at my local diy stores so its on a 3a fused plug at the moment. Plumber said it'd be ok for now

MrTeeny said:
Thanks , I haven't been able to locate an unswitched 3a fcu with flex outlet at my local diy stores so its on a 3a fused plug at the moment. Plumber said it'd be ok for now

firstly theres no harm in using a switched 3A FCU, cant see why you are adamant on finding yourself a non switched FCU..
secondly, screwfix and several other DIY stores supply unswitched 3A FCU with flex outlets...
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=29775&ts=59532#
AND
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=64816&ts=60015#

Sponsored Links
The plumber said it should be unswitched for some reason. None of my local diys wickes focus etc had any FCU's switched or unswitched with a flex outlet. needed a flex outlet one as I'd set the box flush with the wall although looking at those screwfix ones they have a knockout so maybe I'd better check the diy stores again as they may have knockouts too :(

Au contraire, it should be switched, so that in the event of maintenance, it can be effectively & safely isolated.

Absolutely. It should be a switch that breaks both the live and neutral. A switched FCU will do that, the unswitched one will only break the live and you'll have to pull the fuse out to do that!

Most FCUs (even the cheapo Screwfix ones) have a cut out at the bottom & side to provide a flex outlet.

I can't say i'd want to trust something as easilly knocked as a FCU swtich as a means of isolation anyway.

plugwash said:
I can't say i'd want to trust something as easilly knocked as a FCU swtich as a means of isolation anyway.

Boiler connected via a 13 amp plug ( fitted 3 amp fuse ) provides reliable isolation by taking the plug out.

So is it OK with the 3A fused plug in place Bernard ?

No point in me doing an unnecessary work for the hell of it. Boiler's in a cupboard in the eaves and the plug is on the far side of the boiler so isn't going to be knocked or accidently unplugged.

Mind has been running like that for 25 years, ( two boilers in that time ) and many others I know are installed that way.

I can't see a problem with a plug and socket, in fact, it's a good way for a plumber to get out of providing certification!

I always fit switched fused spurs though.

Both methods are valid as per the IEE 16th edition.

One point to check, is that if the socket method is used downstairs, it should be on the RCD feed side supply to comply with regulations.

Using a DP Switched FCU avoids the need for a RCD on the supply unless TT.

kai said:
One point to check, is that if the socket method is used downstairs, it should be on the RCD feed side supply to comply with regulations.

Depends where the socket is located downstairs. Only sockets which could reasonable be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors need to be RCD protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back