Routing cables in a conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wanted to know how to route a cable for a light fitting in a conservatory. I want the cable hidden and want to avoid putting conduit up as it would spoil the look of the conservatory. Is there anyway to do this?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I'd concur with Breezer on this one (as FWL would say!!), as long as it is internal.

If it's just one 1.0mm2 twin & earth cable, I'd use 16 x 16mm white and if you have a white uPVC conservatoire, then it blends in well, or it can be painted to match.

Sponsored Links
Remind me how long it takes to drive from N London to Bramhall, and then give a head start. 48 hours should be enough!

securespark said:
Remind me how long it takes to drive from N London to Bramhall, and then give a head start. 48 hours should be enough!

I left 3 days ago :D:D

Hang on who's that comimng into the office? No, no no , please don't do thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Putting trunking up may make your conservatory a bit of a dogs dinner. You could consider clipping cable directly to the surface and clipping it -
1. Unsheathed pyro has a copper finish but you'll need a good spark to do that
2. FP200 cable looks like flex but its more rigid
3. If your conservatory is not white then you could use 1.0mm 3 core flex which comes in a variety of colours
The rigidity of pyro and FP200 allows less clips per meter to be used.

Also consider wall lights on the house wall.

Inspector said:
Putting trunking up may make your conservatory a bit of a dogs dinner. You could consider clipping cable directly to the surface and clipping it -
1. Unsheathed pyro has a copper finish but you'll need a good spark to do that
2. FP200 cable looks like flex but its more rigid
3. If your conservatory is not white then you could use 1.0mm 3 core flex which comes in a variety of colours
The rigidity of pyro and FP200 allows less clips per meter to be used.

Also consider wall lights on the house wall.

you also forgot the huge cost of pyro....

Not to mention Flex looking not so much like the dogs dinner, but what the dogs dinner looked like after you put the dog on a roller coaster! :D

There are standards for clipping flex which should be kept to. Thanks for the expected encouragement. :rolleyes:

:mrgreen: I think we need to help those who think electrical installation is complex, not critique "expert" opinion. If we (as "experts") backed each others comments by added to them, then the forum could have some credibility. Lets face it domestic installation is no more complicated than plumbing (apart from the obvious danger before someone critiques that comment) and we can help those DIYers who could get ripped off by sparks for the simple jobs they ask about.

TO EVERYBODY READING THIS POST - IT IS A JOKE - DO NOT TAKE THE FOLLOWING SERIOUSLY...

Domestic Installation no more complicated than plumbing...

Hmmm I see a germ of an idea taking shape. Could we combine plumbing and wiring, maybe the hot could carry live and the cold neutral?

Electricians who have served their time etc are as accountable for their actions as those who have no formal training. Anyone can be an 'electrician', so lets not blow the trade out of proportion. Domestic wiring is easy, but we like the idea of DIYers thinking its complicated. I'm just setting the record straight.

Plumbing = pump, manifold, pressure relief valves, pipework (flow & return), valves ...
Electrics = generator, distribution board, MCBs, cables (live & neutral), switches ...

Water (current) flows and if you squeeze the pipe then you increase the resistance and the water pressure rises. If the pipe is too small (1.5mm wire for a cooker supply) then the pressure in the pipe also increases and may burst.

Its no more than V=IR, P=VA, current carrying capacity and common sense. I run a course in my local college which teaches students domestic installation in 10 days. I could do it in 5 but I drag it out for greenbacks. And yes, I am a h*ll of a guy!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back