routing cables,rcd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
been reading some threads concerning running cables in walls and needing rcd or metal conduit.
can i ask what sparks do if someone just wants an exra socket or two or a light switch moving.
if the customer has the old wired fuses,do you have to fit a new consumer unit or an extra rcd unit,which i assume the customer would'nt be pleased with the extra cost,or do all sparks carry metal conduit and thread cutting tools?.
i remember seeing something about a screened cable that would do the job,think it was called guardian cable?but have never seen it mentioned as a solution in any threads.

Sponsored Links
I have talked about Ali-Tube to BS 8436 Guardian, Earthshield, Flexishield, or Afumex cable many times. It is used in industry as looks very neat and can carry more power than old twin and earth but it does not seem to have caught on for domestic use.

In the main people want additions more than once and it is also safer to have RCD protection anyway.

An extra socket will need RCD protection anyway and for electricians who do not need to pay the LABC their high fees very quickly it becomes cheaper to change a consumer unit than have loads of RCD sockets feed with Ali-tube.

For the DIY man who wants to comply with regs then the Ali-tube does seem a good idea but with DIY sheds not stocking the cable it means buying a whole role which seems to put people off it. Cable has not been sold at retail price for many years so although if you look at recommended price it does not seem to cost much more than twin and earth in the real world twin and earth is sold well below recommended price so there is really a big jump in price.

thanks ericmark,if the cable is out there it must be more cost effective for the customer for you to use it,
ii someone just wants an extra socket or two in a bedroom that would cost say 100 quid (just a guess)then you tell them you have to change or add a consumer unit and the cost trebles,how do your customers react.
i don't understand why a householders wiring is considered safe,but add a socket or move a light switch and suddenly the householder is going to die of electrocution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back