Rover 216 GTi Keeps staling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help???
I have a H reg Rover 216 GTi with twin cam engine. It occasionally stales and then won't start. Called out Green flag rescue and they said it could be the distributor as this is a common fault on Rover's. I have now installed new distributor and it still has same problem, but now i have noticed an increase in power since new distributor. The car will just die on me with no warning. It can be cold or hot, it is completely inconsistent. The mechanic from the recovery company that last came out to me has no idea what it could be and said if i find the fault they would be interested in knowing what it was. He checked the fuel line for airlocks and any problems with fuel delivery, but it passed every test. Does anyone know of a similar fault and can point me in the direction of the possible cause.

Sponsored Links
When recovery mechanics have checked it, did they say there was a spark or not? I assume there wasnt if they told you to renew distributor.

The recovery mechanic said there was a spark and fuel but it was not starting. They advised changing the distributor as this was a possible cause for this intermittent fault.

So what happened when they looked at it? Did they manage to start it? Or did they give up?

Sponsored Links
First time it happened it started after they checked for a spark but they don't know why so they followed me home and it didn't happen again. I used the car for a week and then it happened again. Called recovery again and he also said could be distributor. So after lots of searching for a new distributor changed that but it still stales for no reason. Sometimes it won't start in morning but then wait about 5 minutes and it starts with no problems. I can use car for days with no problem and sometimes it will stale then start after few minutes drive 100 yards down road and stale again, It is very strange.

Sounds like fuel pump relay, But you say they checked the fuel system.As its getting on a bit, wouldnt do any harm to change it, not expensive.

When a vehicle shuts down like that, you can usually pickup a few pointers to what the problem is, once it "stalls" is it immediate and stays off(not running) or is it intermitent (within seconds) is it jerking no matter how slight, or stalls and that's that?

jayzee said:
Sounds like fuel pump relay, But you say they checked the fuel system.As its getting on a bit, wouldnt do any harm to change it, not expensive.

Thanks for advise jayzee i will try replacing the relay over weekend

libby lou lou said:
When a vehicle shuts down like that, you can usually pickup a few pointers to what the problem is, once it "stalls" is it immediate and stays off(not running) or is it intermitent (within seconds) is it jerking no matter how slight, or stalls and that's that?

Car stalls with no jerking or no warning. It has stalled on acceleration and on braking. Sometimes I can start it after stopping and it revs but stalls quickly after, even with gas pedal to the floor.

Sponsored Links
Back