RSJ above ceiling rather than within it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal / acceptable to place the RSJ holding the upper wall (in the diagram) above the upper floor space rather than within it?

So the steel would be at skirting board level, with the other side of the steel in the canopy space. And the wall sat on top of it would be shorter as the steel is higher.

just checking if there is any argument against it, I’ve already placed the padstones and also there is a similar beam at the back, and I’d rather have the ceiling space clear of steels for services etc. (Plus it worked out better in blockwork)

thanks and I hope this is good news

Attachments

• 7CCC82C0-41C2-4026-8553-AD1B5D23D06C.jpeg
    7CCC82C0-41C2-4026-8553-AD1B5D23D06C.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
It can be done both ways. Flush finish is a lot more fiddly and will cost more to install. (a lot of builders tell clients it's not possible to put them off) It also depends on the depth of the beam. Deep beams will need making good to the rooms above - which not everybody wants to get into.

Thanks for the response but it sounds like you think I’m asking if the beam can go below the ceiling or within it (is that what you mean by flush?).

I’m asking if there is any reason why the beam can’t go higher,

ie the bottom of the beam is level with the top of the joists.

Is that what you thought I meant?

No reason why not if you can get it in, tends to wreck the decor in the room if it's a retrofit. I wish I'd put one of mine a bit higher, it's flush and exactly the same height as the joists and I had a right struggle trying to get a 50mm extractor ducting through to the outside.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, it’s a self build extension from someone who watched too many YouTube videos, so I’m building around it, just checking it isn’t going to be an issue down the line from inspector for example saying there needs to be the cavity between the bedroom and the canopy. Something like that

Thanks for the advice, it’s a self build extension from someone who watched too many YouTube videos, so I’m building around it, just checking it isn’t going to be an issue down the line from inspector for example saying there needs to be the cavity between the bedroom and the canopy. Something like that

If the canopy is a cold roof insulated at ceiling level, the steel may be a thermal bridge.
And as it's holding a 1st floor it will need to be fireproofed

Ok thanks, I did think about having the canopy as a warm roof to combat that, I’ll take it to the inspector now that I know it isn’t a definite no no and see what he says.

thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back