RSJ and false ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're in the process of redoing our kitchen and ripping down the false false oak beams (if you can call artexed fence posts that!)

One beam runs parallel to the side wall of our house (about a metre away from the wall) - and this is an RSJ covered with plasterboard (and artex)

Our plan was to attach a wallplate to one side of the wall and one side of the beam and plasterboard this to create a false ceiling and allow downlights to be fitted above the kitchen units etc...

Unfortunately we can't lower the whole kitchen ceiling as the top of the window is too high in the room.

Could anyone advise what the best way to attach a timer plate to the RSJ would be? I'm assuming that the plasterboard cladding needs to stay around it to meet fire regs?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
sub.

Sponsored Links
The way I have clad around "rsj's" is to is to cut some 3x2 just a fraction bigger than the distance from the inside of the rsj top to bottom, and hammer them tight in. Then you have got a area that is "noggined" out to either fit fire-checkx2 on to or put a piece of timber along the "noggins to the height you want to higher or lower your ceiling. Hope you understand this ... ;) Good Luck...

Thanks, I'll give that ago. I did consider drilling the RSJ and attaching a timber base plate with screws but I think it would be too much effort!

Sponsored Links
roy c";p="999058 said:
The way I have clad around "rsj's" is to is to cut some 3x2 just a fraction bigger than the distance from the inside of the rsj top to bottom, and hammer them tight in. Then you have got a area that is "noggined" out to either fit fire-checkx2 on to or put a piece of timber along the "noggins to the height you want to higher or lower your ceiling. Hope you understand this ...Stick the p/board to the underneath with a adhesive called "Sticks like S**T.. I have bought this topic up again for you to read.... Tony Green

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back