RSJ in ceiling void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am hoping to do an extension at the rear of my house and have a couple of questions about RSJs. I want to put a steel in that will hold up the back of my house, span the entire width of house (approx 5.3m) and be hidden in the ceiling void. So my questions are -

- Is it a lot more complicated putting a steel in the ceiling void and will this cost more money to do (if so, roughly how much more)?
- I realise I will need to get a structural engineer to do the proper calculations but was wondering if someone can give me a rough idea of how much supporting wall will need to be left either side of the opening? Want the minimum possible.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
If your first floor joists run on to the rear wall, it is more difficult to hide the steel beam. It can be done, but would involve tricky work with joist hangers etc
It will also cause disruption upstairs to skirting boards, radiators etc.

we put an RSJ in to open up our living room last year, totally recessed into ceiling void, timber packers into the webs & existing joists supported off jiffy hangers, one side of beam supported by padstone cemented into breeze block wall, other side supported by a cripple stud within a partition wall, basically you'd never know there was a steel in there, walls & ceiling all flush. easily done, whole lot including structural engineer came in under a grand (approx 4m beam)

If your first floor joists run on to the rear wall, it is more difficult to hide the steel beam. It can be done, but would involve tricky work with joist hangers etc
It will also cause disruption upstairs to skirting boards, radiators etc.

The joists do run into the wall and I realise that they would then need to be supported by the steel in some way (probably joist hangers like you say).

How will it affect skirting / radiators? Will these need removed then replaced once work is complete?

Sponsored Links
You may have to support the wall above the first floor to get the beam into the place at present taken up by the joist-ends.

You may have to support the wall above the first floor to get the beam into the place at present taken up by the joist-ends.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Bugger, going to be a right pain given what happens to be up against this wall on the first floor. Cheers for the help.

Ah ok, that makes sense. b*****r, going to be a right pain given what happens to be up against this wall on the first floor. Cheers for the help.

Presumably you want a flush ceiling, right?

If so, have you got the room-height to have the beam below the ceiling, and then build a false ceiling to come down flush with the underside of the beam?

Presumably you want a flush ceiling, right?

If so, have you got the room-height to have the beam below the ceiling, and then build a false ceiling to come down flush with the underside of the beam?

Yes, wanting a flush ceiling. Unfortunately I don't have the ceiling height to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back