RSJ. Is this right ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've just had an RSJ fitted and from the what I've seen everywhere else it's just plainly been done wrong - though I'm no builder so maybe it's alright. Still I thought it best to check and ask the people that know!

Basically I thought that an I-beam should be fitted with the middle section being vertical - so the cross section looks like an 'I'. However a builder has fitted one between my kitchin and dining room so it looks like a 'H' with the joists resting on the two sides of the beam rather the the flat surface if it was in the 'I' orientation.

Is this ok or do I need to insist it's redone?

Thanks. I'm just really worried right now that it's going to buckle and collasp or something when the props are taken away..

Sponsored Links
Sounds very dodgy to me. Why on earth would he want to install it like that?!

The beam is unlikely to collapse as it will have quite a capacity for bending about it's weak axis, but the joists sound like they're effectively sat on a knife edge!

He hadn't nipped out for a friday pint before putting this in had he?

Get the BCO in before the Acrows are taken down.

Basically I thought that an I-beam should be fitted with the middle section being vertical - so the cross section looks like an 'I'. However a builder has fitted one between my kitchin and dining room so it looks like a 'H' with the joists resting on the two sides of the beam rather the the flat surface if it was in the 'I' orientation.

is this a wind-up.

we've gotta see a photo', please?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes: post a photo, then get the BCO in. :D

Also a photo of the BCOs face will be priceless.

he hasn't just rested it there temporarly as it didn't quite fit maby?

that is the stupidest idea I ever heard.
1, don't pay.
2 get it changed
3 sue the builder for dangerous practice.
If this is not a joke the person who did it wants lynching.

What would we like, in ideal circumstances? Photo!

When, preferably, would we like it to happen? Naaaaah!

Good call rssteve! He came round earlier today and before I could query it with him he told me what he was going to do today and that included rotating and fitting the RSJ. That'll teach me for jumping to conclusions :oops: Still I'm glad I asked just-in-case.

Sitll interested in the photo? I did manage to take one before he came round, though only of a section in the middle showing the beam in the wrong way and the bricks from the wall above floating above one of the sides which was really worrying to me (apparently they were ok as the wall above is across joists so it can take the weight temporarily until the RSJ was fitted in properly). Someone will have to tell me how though as the IMG button seems to want it as a link ??

It an 8ft expanse and he put 2 on each side with wood linking them top and bottom.

I'm starting to wory again now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back