RSJ location

MB.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone, I hope all are well and happy today :D

We are going to be adding an extension and opening up the back of the bungalow, but struggling to work out where the RSJ is going to go.

The architect and a builder have tried explaining but wonder if anyone could explain in simple terms?

If you look at the attached image, its B1.

It shows it inline with the joists, but I thought it would have to go UNDER the joists and have it boxed in, as it wont to under the rafters. The joists are 100mm and the beam is 152 x 89

Could anyone explain please?

Many thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_4752.JPG
    IMG_4752.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
It's poorly detailed, but yes if the beam fits it can (and should) go in that place out of sight. Rafters are cut back and put on hangers or cut into the web depending on the design sklls of whoever designs it.

Thanks woody.
I have been googleing and googleing looking for examples of this sort of install but can't find anything at all.

So would the joists and rafters both sit on brackets onto a timber bolted in the web? And then the new extension joists come through onto the other side of the web?

My only concern is that we want the extension to go up and be watertight before taking this wall down, so there would be nowhere for the joists to go. In this case, would we be better off putting them into the original wall plate and have the steel below?

Many thanks.

That really is the best option. Often builders take the easy option and put the beam below, but it's then the homeowner who has to live with it.

The beam would be put in when the roof goes on and everything cut to it. You dont have to remove the wall at that time.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Woody, will look at doing it this way then.

If you can find or have any images to example this it would be appreciated. I must be searching the wrong things!

Many thanks.

This is an image from this forum of what you want, but without the joists being notched like that.

Does that help?

This is an image from this forum of what you want, but without the joists being notched like that.

Does that help?
Thanks Phatboy,
I am ok with how the joists go in or on the beam, but it’s the rafters detail I’m struggling to understand.
As they’re currently on a wall plate sitting with nice bird mouths, but unsure how they’d sit on the beam.

Many thanks.

but struggling to work out where the RSJ is going to go.

The architect and a builder have tried explaining but wonder if anyone could explain in simple terms?

If they cannot explain it to you when standing in front of you, then what chance does someone on the internet have?

Andy

The dotted bit of the rafters in the drawing will be cut off so whatever is left can sit in or on the RSJ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back